Contradictions in Beliefs

Start from the beginning

"Are you busy today?" Emilien asked after some time had passed. It was easy to imagine just relaxing in this area. Not speaking, not worrying, and not really thinking. But he hadn't been able to spend time with Lea last night, and he didn't know if he'd see her again today. This might be the only time he had a chance to really speak with her.

"A little," she admitted, pushing her hair back out of her face. "I'm meeting with Sybille so she can catch me up on everything that's happening in the war. Then, I'm going down to my house in the Silver District. It's been a while since I've been back, so I want to check on it."

Emilien turned to her, surprised. "You have your own house?"

"Well, technically, it was my father's house. I inherited it after her passed." She smiled to assure him that she was okay with the topic as she continued. "I never really spent much time there, even before the war. I was happy to stay in the Suite. But until Darian finishes my room, it probably wouldn't hurt to go see it. Might be more comfortable than the palace."

Emilien was trying to figure out how a family home could be more comfortable than the palace itself, when she smiled over at him and he realized that she wasn't talking about for herself. She was thinking of him and what might make him more comfortable.

He returned her smile, some of the tension easing from his shoulders. "I'd think I'd like to see your house. If that's all right with you."

"Of course." Her bright grin faded quickly. "Er, just give me a couple days to have it cleaned and set to right. When I say I haven't been there for a while..."

He chuckled, closing the distance between them to clasp her hand. "Are you doing it yourself, or do you have servants for that? Because, I could help you. If you'd like."

Lea smiled. "Well, I hired someone to clean most of it, but I was going to do a bit of the work of myself. I wouldn't say no, if you really want to help."

"I'd be happy to."

Lea hesitated, her face heating, before she continued, mumbling as loud as she could manage. "If you like, er, you can... move in with me. If you want."

Emilien, startled but not displeased by the offer, didn't respond immediately. Lea, at his silence, burned brighter red.

"You don't have to," she said quickly. "I understand if you prefer the palace."

"The palace is no better than my prison cell if I compare it to being able to lay beside you in your bed," he whispered sweetly, making her heart beat faster.

She turned, pulling against his hand. He didn't resist as she led him quickly down the path away from the memorial.

"Where are we going?" He asked amusedly.

"Away from the memorial."

"Rather unspecific," he chuckled.

"Well, it's not really proper to kiss a man in front of a memorial."

Startled, Emilien laughed until she took them away from the memorial, to an out of the way part of the garden where she could kiss him with no one watching.

Sometime later, Lea left to go attend to her duties for the day and left Emilien to continue on his way to the Sacellum. They didn't know when they would have time together to walk her home and move him into it, but they promised to schedule it later.

Feeling slightly more upbeat, Emilien finally crossed the Royal Complex towards the Quicksilver District.

The religious district was the home of the Sacellum, the seat of religion in all of Vasconia. The priests and acolytes made their home there and, aside from the dorms and the Sacellum itself, the district was flat and filled with beautiful gardens. Gardens that were all covered in largely untouched snow. Only the paths had been cleared.