7: In Which She Goes American Pie

Start from the beginning

“You could have at least told me,” I told him. I shook my head, pushing the memory of him inside me out of my head. “Anyway, it doesn’t matter. It was a mistake and it won’t happen again.”

“I’m truly sorry, if that’s what you want to hear.” He shrugged. “But my wife knows where I am most Friday nights.”
“She probably thinks you’re reading War and Peace with other like-minded people,” I snorted. “If only she knew.”

Luc surprised me by laughing. “War and Peace? I’ve never cared for the book.” He leaned in. “I’m more of an erotica guy. Words are so exciting, Janelle.”

“Go back to your wife, Luc. You disgust me.”

I pushed my trolley past him, glaring. He annoyed me by grinning back at me.

“See you soon, Janelle.”

“Sure,” I sneered over my shoulder. “In your dreams.”

“What the fúck?” someone grunted, after I ran my trolley into them.

“Oh shít, sorry,” I swiftly apologised, stepping back.

Just my fúcking luck, I thought dismally when I saw who it was.

Stephen looked even more amazing than the last time I’d seen him. In a simple checked flannel shirt and jeans, he looked like a mirage. I had the sudden urge to throw him down and fúck him in the toiletry section of Morgan’s. This, of course, was out of the question, since the last time he saw me, we argued over who had given who a disease.

“Janelle,” he said monotonously, glancing into my trolley. “Had a baby recently?”

Heat crept up my neck. “It’s mine.”

“Baby food?”

“I like it, OK?” I snapped defensively.

“OK, OK,” he said, holding his hands up in surrender. “How’s it going these days?” His tone was awkward. I didn’t like it.

“Good. You?”

“Good.”

“How’s Plaisir?”

He shrugged. “Business as usual. How’s work at the paper?”

“Fantastic, thank you.”

His hands were now in his pockets. “Great. Well, I guess I’ll…see you around?”

“Yeah. Yes. Of course.”

He moved to go past me then doubled up with laughter seconds later.