His eyes locked on hers for a moment as if trying to figure out whether or not she was lying. Then, with a blank look, he took her hand and placed it on his chest. "Have me instead."

She laughed, "What?"

"Take me instead of him."

"You don't mean that."

"I do if it will keep my parents together. My life is just starting. Staying with you will barely be like a day to me. So, be with me instead."

He bent his head toward her, but she pushed him away, "As flattered as I am, you are not your father."

"I look like him, though I am younger. To humans I would appear to be near your age. I have wealth. I am more than powerful enough to protect you, being second only to my father even at my age. I have been told that I am attractive."

She was trying desperately not to laugh at the young man, "Yes, you are very attractive, and someday I'm sure there will be somebody that falls deeply in love with you, somebody that would follow you to the underworld and back without hesitation, but Lord Sesshomaru, that girl can't be me. My heart already belongs to your father."

"I am told that love can manifest over time--"

"Not for me. My heart will only ever belong to Toga."

"But I am his son. I will be just like him. Maybe better some day."

Izayoi couldn't hold back her chuckle this time, "You poor dear. I've hurt your pride now, haven't I? I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. You must understand that you are your own person. You lack your father's charm, his spirit. He is uniquely Toga, and that is what I love about him."

Sesshomaru looked at her intently for a moment before backing away, "It was worth a try. Fine. I suppose I should let you know that Father changed his plans. He wants you to meet him at the small cave on the mountain beneath this castle."

Izayoi stared at him, speechless.

"You can follow that path," he pointed, then shrugged. "Or not. It no longer matters to me. I find that I tire of your presence. He left an hour ago. Do as you will."

She bowed briefly then turned and ran down the path and down the mountain.

"Sesshomaru!" came an icy growl.

He nodded, "Mother."

His eyes widened when he saw hers flashing red with anger, "I suppose you heard at least some of that, then?"

She whopped him with her mokomoko, grabbed him by his ear, and dragged him to the other side of the castle where Toga was pacing, waiting for Izayoi to be cleared by the healer.

And trying to think about what to say to his son.

Speaking of--why was Kimi dragging him by his ear?

"And now, you are going to tell your father what you've done! Toga, your son has something to tell you."

Begrudgingly, Sesshomaru told his father about sending Izayoi down the path to the mountain below the castle.

"Son, how could you? It's winter and dangerous, especially for humans!" Toga demanded.

Sesshomaru's eyes flashed red, "As long as you are with that human I have no father!"

Sesshomaru turned into a ball of light and streaked away.

"Sesshomaru! Don't you orb away from me!" Toga thundered.

Inukimi stopped him with a gentle hand. "Go find her, Toga. Sesshomaru will come around. Eventually."

Thunder below the castle caused them both to tense.