Chapter 2

2Peeping Emily

“Oh my GOD!” Squealed my best friend, Loren. I winced, placing the phone away from my ear to avoid the ear-splitting pierce. No such luck – Loren was born with a sturdy set of lungs.

“I know. It’s so weird.” I put the phone back against my ear and then mumbled, “Nothing good ever happens on my street.” It really was true. My street was so boring. So, so, so boring. Loren lived in the next neighbourhood over and she had all the cool people from school. How did she get the better end of the bargain?

“Well, not anymore!” I could clearly hear Loren clapping her hands excitedly on the line. And then she quieted. Her tone was oozing with interest when she spoke again. “So…What is he doing?” Hmm, what was my new neighbour doing?

“Oh, I don’t know Lo!” I made a point of huffing. My friend was crazy. Boy crazy to be exact. “What? I’m not gonna spy on him, if that’s where you’re getting at.”

“Oh please,” Loren scoffed. “How could you not?” Girl had a point. And maybe that’s why I was standing so close to my bedroom window? I resisted the urge to rip my lacy curtains apart. I fingered the sheer curtains, willing to defy my body.

And then I saw the light flicker on next door. “Hello? Emily? Are you there?” From what I remembered from the Smith’s stay – that was a bedroom. My heart quickened. There went the curtains…

“Hold on a sec.” Did that mean-

My thought was cut off as I saw a figure cross the window. I pulled back slightly, but then noticed that the person in the room hadn’t noticed, obviously, because then there went the heather grey shirt as it was thrown off. A tan, toned, bare back faced me.

My breath was beginning to fog the glass as I peered closer, my nose literally against the window. And then he turned. I still had gone unnoticed. But the new sight caused me to a gasp a breath. It was a surprise that I didn’t go into a raging fit of convulsions. The front of Corey’s torso was exposed and I could plainly see his well-defined, toned body. And just many packs were those? Certainly not six, maybe eight? Oh damn. I could scrub my clothing on those.

“What? What’s happening?!” I loved how Loren already knew what I was up to. Arg! I really was predictable, wasn’t I? No, no, it had to be the circumstance. Any straight, curious girl would be doing this too. The phrase from earlier, ‘curiosity kills the cat’ came to my mind. Screw the cat. I’m loving this curiosity thing.

“Uh, Lo. I have to go.”

“What? No! Don’t you dare hang up-” I clicked the phone and turned to toss it on my bed. Loren would get over it. Eventually.

When I looked back up at the window, eagerly ready to admire my new neighbour…and his brilliant blue eyes, wide smile and face – which was staring at me now…

Oh shit! I jumped back and felt the blush creeping up from my neck and beginning to color my face. I had been caught – caught staring at my cute, hot, sexy, hot, beautiful neighbour. The last thing I saw before I quickly pulled the curtains closed was the smug smirk of Corey Wolf.

-

“Emily, do me a favour. Would you?” My mother was facing away from me, her back towards me. It was impossible to sneak up on her.

She was wearing her usual motherly outfit of white-khaki pants and a brown quarter sleeve shirt-blouse. Her shoulder-length wispy bronze-blonde hair was pulled back with a clip. I envied her momentarily. I wish I was a blonde…