(Three) Welcome to University

“Welcome to university.”

        The words sounded somewhat hollow—especially since Hiccup had said them to himself—nonetheless, the general idea was comforting.

        The building was big, with stone walls and arched doorways. It reminded Hiccup of some kind of cathedral. Big. And echo-y. Stony.

        The dorm was bigger than his old apartment. There was a dining table, kitchen, a bathroom, [miniature] living room and two bedrooms. Your average college dormitory.

        There was a girl sitting at the dining table when Hiccup walked in. The girl was popping gum, a tablet propped in front of her. When she heard Hiccup enter, she looked up and raised an eyebrow.

        “Hey.”

        “Um… hey.”

        “What’re you studying?” She made it sound like he was invading her personal space.

        “Oh… um, playwriting.”

        “Robotics.” The girl got up and stuck out her hand. “Leiko Tanaka, but call me GoGo. And you are?”

        Hiccup didn’t see how your name could go from Leiko to GoGo, but he shook her hand all the same. “Hiccup.”

        “Hm. Hiccup. Okay.”

        Silence.

        Then GoGo spoke again.

        “Now, listen to what I’m about to say, because you’re going to need to remember it—you have two other roommates. You’re going to be sharing a bedroom with Flynn Rider, who is studying film-acting. My roommate is Aiko Miyazaki, but call her Honey Lemon—everyone does. She’s studying chemistry and she’s a genius at it, so don’t get on her bad side.”

        “Oh—wow. Yeah… um… great.”

        “You and Flynn will get along. You’re both hard workers.”

        “Wait. How do you—? We’ve only just met…”

        Her eyes spoke more than her tongue; Don’t ask, just listen. “I know potential when I see it.”

        That was the first complicated thing he learned about his friend GoGo.

        It wasn’t his last.

        “Oh.” Hiccup’s eyes widened at her tone. He swallowed. “Right.”

        Silence.

        “Well.” GoGo raised her eyebrow—at Hiccup’s small, single suitcase. “You sure need help unpacking.”

        Hiccup managed a nervous laugh. “Yeah… I don’t bother with stuff other than what I really need.”

        “Like…?”

        “Well… books, the Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary Edition DVD, textbooks… oh, you know.” His hand went to his pocket, where he was keeping his notebook. “Stuff.”

        GoGo didn’t react. She sat back down and continued scrolling whatever she was scrolling on her tablet. “So you’re writing a play?”