114 | scars and forgiveness

Start from the beginning

"I want to thank you for everything you did." I begin. "I'm sorry if I didn't say it sooner. I would rather tell you now that we're alone because it's less pressuring."

Taehyung's chocolate eyes peer into mine when the tiniest smile forms on his lips. "You're welcome."

"I don't know if you did it because Seokjin has the video from...that time or because you actually understand how critical the situation was, but regardless of the reason thank you." I finally say. "You have no idea how grateful I am and I would like to make it up to you sometime."

A breathy laugh escapes his lips when he asks, "Why do you think I helped you?"

I take some time to think to myself. Taehyung doesn't seem like the kind of person who would attempt to achieve a certain purpose with someone else's extent. From what I've gathered so far, I noticed that he's careful and calculative; but not in a bad way, I would describe him as a quiet strategist. He sure as hell has a wild side to him that he doesn't like to show often as he appears to be cold and serious most of the time. He's observant, tenacious, detail oriented and has a deductive approach when it comes to pressuring circumstances. It's hard to tell what he's feeling because he has this serious expression going on that intimidates his peers.

But I wouldn't describe him as someone selfish or cruel.

"Hmm, maybe because you know that I'm not the only woman your brother is blackmailing?" I finally say in a suggestive manner. "Honestly, I don't think you helped me out for personal gain, but I genuinely believe that you did it because you understand how hard it is to survive. Perhaps you did it for Jungkook since you're best friends."

"Not bad." He mutters. "But no, that's not the reason why I helped you. Especially the last one."

"Okay, why then?" I inquire.

"I guess I felt bad about what happened that night at the Empire, you know when the fire alarm went off and when Jimin just left. I was at fault too because I lost you in the hallway during the commotion." Taehyung explains, his eyes drifting into the far off memory. "I was worried about you and we searched everywhere. At least there wasn't an actual fire otherwise things would have a totally different outcome. A more regrettable outcome."

I stare at him in awe. "You guys looked for me?"

"Of course. We even tried to find you during one of your shifts back at the night club, but yeah...that didn't work out well." He raises his hand and scratches the back of his neck as I remember exactly the moment he's referring at. Back when Jimin came up to me and gave me money on stage and I quite literally tore a hundred dollars to shreds because I was aggravated.

"Yeah, I received the written apology you guys sent me after that." I say with a faint smile. "The manager was bewildered."

He laughs a little. "Yeah, anyway I just want to say that the reason why I wanted to help was to make up for that incident at the Empire. It's a more civilized apology from my part, so you don't have to worry about making it up to me, because I was the one who was indepted to you in the first place." My eyes widen at his words and I don't say anything for a while when he continues, "I hope you can forgive me for what happened that night."

Seeing that he's being sincere with me I grin. "Already forgiven. Friends?"

Even though he's trying to hide it, he smiles. "Friends."

Wow, that was easy.

I tilt my neck towards the pool house and notice that the door is still closed. "I'll go check on Jungkook."

"It's a good thing that he starts caring about others." He says. "You're a good influence on him."

"Yeah,"

"Just make sure that he's doing it for himself and not for the sake of your relationship."

"He told me he's trying to be better for himself." I tell him and he quirks a brow.

"Then you've achieved the impossible."

I excuse myself as I get up from the deck chair then head to the pool house. When I open it, I see that he's not in the room, so I knock on the bathroom.

"Jungkook?" I call for him. "You okay in there?"

No answer.

I knock on the door once more. "Jungkook?" What's wrong?

Why isn't he saying anything?

Slowly and carefully, I turn the door handle and let myself inside the bathroom. I look around only to see Jungkook shirtless sitting on the marble bench in the shower, staring at the tiles. He's already wearing a swimming trunk. I open the frosted door then kneel in front of him, taking his hands in mine worriedly.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I ask, my voice full of concern. For a moment there, his eyes meet mine but he doesn't respond. "Talk to me, what's wrong?"

"I didn't think this through." He mumbles. "I-I invited everyone here to hang out at the hot tub and I'm so stupid."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Elena," he sighs and his gaze falls back on the floor. My hands find their way to his face and I tilt his head up so that he can face me. "I can't go out looking like this." He finally says then pulls his arms away from his wide chest, revealing all the scars on his abdomen. "They will ask questions and I won't know what to say."

"You don't need to say anything." I tell him then pull him close to my chest as I run my fingers through his hair. "You're not obligated to tell the world what you went through."

"Tae and Jimin know."

"It doesn't matter." I plant a feathery kiss on his forehead then grab the black long sleeved shirt from the counter. "If you don't feel comfortable showing this to the world, just know that you don't have to. You don't owe anyone an explanation. So until you decide to tell the people that are close to you, wear this." I say, as I slide the v-neck over his head. He then puts his arms in each sleeve and leans into me with his arms around my waist.

"I love you," the words leave his mouth so effortlessly, they bring a smile on my face and tears in my eyes "so much."

"I love you," I finally say for the first time and I mean it with every fiber of my being.

"Told you." Jungkook lifts himself off the bench and draws in closer to kiss me affectionately. "I knew you'd say it soon."