Prologue

Word Count: 1557

Warnings: sibling quarrels?, I don't think swears but maybe, unedited

A/N: Look, did I start further back in the scene than needed? Probably, but I wrote stuff that I don't feel like deleting so just be happy I'm writing human words 😅. There's not too much scene setting here so sorry if it gets confusing. And if you didn't read yet, check it out!

*I don't own Uncharted or whatever so credit to the lines/scenes I took from the game.*

⟐ ⟐ ⟐ ⟐ ⟐

"This is bad," Nathan mumbles, leaning his forearms along to cool metal of the railing, looking out on the water.

Nate couldn't believe his brother was here. After, what–15 years?–Samuel Drake turns up alive, having been in prison all those years, and then just shows up to find his little brother? The two Drakes stayed awake all night–just catching up on the things Sam had missed and all the adventures Nathan has been on. But once the sun's rays grazed the river and the streets of New Orleans, the eldest Drake revealed the real reason he was here: to find Henry Avery's treasure–the treasure that started it all. But this time if Sam can't find it, he'll be dead.

"Well, we'll just pick up the trail where we left off and–"

"Wait, trail?" Nathan cuts in sarcastically, glancing at his older brother, "Sam, there's no trail. After Rafe and I escaped he took his parents' fortune and bought up all the land around Saint Dismas Cathedral. We combed that place for weeks–Avery's treasure isn't there."

Sam slowly lifts his left hand to inhale the smoke from his cigarette, appearing calm despite Nathan's words. As Sam breathes out, Nate continues, with an almost distant look in his eyes.

"Not that that stopped Rafe ... moron's been digging for years, still hasn't turned up squat." Sam wiggles his head a little.

"Not really surprised," he comments somewhat cockily while taking another drag.

Furrowing his brows and glancing at his brother, Nate asks, "What does that mean?" In response, Sam shrugs his shoulders and reaches for something in his jean jacket pocket.

"Well, just–ya know, I happened to do a little digging of my own, and uh," Sam pauses to show the folded paper between his fingers to Nathan, "bet you Rafe doesn't have this." With a little huff, Nate snatches the paper out of Sam's hand before unfolding it.

"It's really amazing what you can find on the internet these days ..." Sam breathes out. Confused, Nathan sighs before responding to his brother's comment.

"It's just the Saint Dismas's Cross."

"Oh, is it?" Sam questions confidently, "Because the one we found was broken and hollow, remember?" With that, Sam turns his head to the younger Drake, waiting for a response. Shocked, Nate looks closer at the picture.

"Holy crap, it's still intact," he breathes out, just above a whisper. Lost in thought, Nathan's eyes move around, realizing what this information means.

"Avery ... made more than one cross."

"So whatever is missing from the one in Panama ..." Sam leaves in the air while he stands up straight.

"... is probably still inside this one," Nate finishes, waving the paper up and down in his hand, eyes widening. Sam smirks and nods his head with a confirming hum. Nathan does a little happy scoff, almost not believing that after all these years, there's still more to Avery's story.