Sixty Three. Challenges

Start from the beginning

"Eight months today, actually."

"Nice... Did she say she would be back by the time she was going to have the baby."

"Not sure, but she said we're all invited to see her. I'm just hoping she comes to terms with herself quicker than thought of... I'm going crazy without her."

"You really love her, don't you?" he wondered.

"I do. She's a challenge trapped into a beautiful woman... I was just kind of drawn into helping her before I fell in love with her. I am also kind of nervous for her to come back too. Gwen and I have been kind of accustomed to our routine and living together as near stepdaughter and stepfather, which is odd but I think it's been fine. We're good, so I guess that's what counts. Stevie is a whirlwind of things... Wouldn't want Gwen and her mom to have any issues."

He nodded. "Despite how good things are and how much she misses her mom, I think she's nervous too. It's seeable when I look at her when she talks about her."

"Maybe I'm also nervous that when I next see her, I'll be becoming a father... This is my first rodeo," he explained.

"You'll be a great father," he patted his shoulder.

Gwen suddenly walked through the door and she grinned. "Hey, you look great," she marched over and kissed Bobby.

"Thanks, so do you," he took the sodas from her.

"Come help me," she urged him to follow her.

He obeyed and kind of waved at Lindsey, gesturing that they would chat later.

The man then took a seat on the couch and he sighed to himself.

Talking about Stevie made him realize how much she did drive him crazy, how much he cared for her and how much he loved her. After his wife died, it had been really hard for him to get a grip, but then he came to terms with himself. When he did, he found it very hard to date, go out or even just have a drink with another woman. And then Stevie was thrown at him and she changed everything. She was a challenge, but he also new she was his future and he knew he would do anything to save it.

Moments later, there was a ring at the door.

He hopped up, smoothing his white button down shirt on his way over. Opening the door, he blue eyes beamed.

"Hello, Lindsey, it's so nice to see you," Barbara grinned at him as she walked forward to kiss his cheek.

"You as well. How was the trip here?" he shook hands with Jess as he entered and then he shut the door behind them.

"It was okay," Jess assured. "Got a little more rest than usual, so it was better."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"Is Stevie here or...?" Barbara wondered.

"No, Karen took her out today... I don't know what her plans are," he honestly stated. "Just us and the kids..."

"Oh, is Bobby here?" the woman smiled.

"Yeah, they're in the kitchen. Gwen went all out for dinner, so I hope you enjoy," he grinned. "I'll go get them. Can I get you guys something to drink?"

"Do you have any whiskey?" Jess asked.

"I do. And you?" he wondered.

"The same is fine for me, thank you."

"My pleasure, make yourselves at home," he moved through the room rather quickly and he got the drinks while urging the teens to get out there.

Gwen entered first, Bobby following behind as they went to greet her grandparents.

"It's so good to see you guys," she grinned, hugging her grandmother warmly. Moving to her grandfather, "I missed you so much. How are things?"

"They're great. We've been looking forward to the visit," he rubbed the top of her head, thinking she was the most beautiful thing ever.

"I'm so happy," she expressed. "You guys met Bobby, he thought he would join. Hope you do the mind."

"No, never," Barbara put her arm through the young man's as he reached to shake hands with Jess. "The more the merrier and if your mom's not joining, at least we get to learn more about this handsome boy," she winked at her granddaughter.

The teen just smiled in return.

Lindsey then made his way in and he offered the couple their drinks.

"Dinner's ready if you wanna get seated," she mentioned.

"Of course, honey," the woman assured, already pushing her husband in that direction.

"Great, Bobby, will you help me? Lindsey, you sit... Do you need anything?"

"No, I'm good, kiddo, thank you."

"Okay," she smiled happily and she went back to the kitchen in order to grab the food with Bobby's help.

···

As the evening and their meal passed them by, the table spoke about everything and anything from work, school, their daughter and how everything was going. Of course, they spared the details of Stevie just leaving.

"Gwen, where did you get this recipe for the potatoes?" Barbara wondered.

"Um, my mom makes them a lot... She has a little box of recipes. Was it okay?"

"It was wonderful, my love... If it's a written recipe, I'm pretty sure it was mine. I just wondered since it tasted so familiar," she smiled.

"Well, I hope I did it justice," she assured.

"You did a very good job. We should make dinner together next time."

"I'd love that," she beamed.

Meanwhile, Jess was pretty silent as he happily ate his meal, being a man and not so into the conversation.

Although he was light-hearted, happy, and outgoing, he did miss his daughter and it weighed the most on him that she didn't want to see them. From a young age, Stevie was a daddy's little girl, so it broke his heart that they weren't close.

"So, son, are you working?" he managed to ask the young man as he already knew everything about his granddaughter.

"I am. I'm a part-time math and science tutor at our college," he ensured proudly.

"Are you into any sports?" he wondered since they seemed to be into a lot of mathematics that he never even heard of.

"Oh, yeah, I love baseball, football, you name it. I play soccer and sometimes I coach for the little kids who try out. I've been playing since I was seven and I've always loved it."

"Nice. Gwen, if you're into sports, maybe we could go to a Dodger game sometime this coming summer."

"That would be awesome," she agreed.

Just then the phone rang.

"Excuse me," Lindsey got up and he went into the kitchen to answer it.

As he answered, Gwen had an interesting feeling in her gut; it wasn't a bad one, but it made her a tad anxious.

After only a moment, Lindsey came back in. "I'm sorry to do this, but I have to go. Will you be alright here?" he kissed the top of Gwen's head.

"Of course, dear," Barbara assured.

"Wait," the young gal followed him to the foyer. "What is it?" she whispered.

"Karen said your mom was in the hospital. She's in ER, but she hasn't been seen yet."

"I wanna go."

"I know, kiddo, but I don't even know what's going on, plus with your grandparents here..."

"Right, right," she nodded in agreement since the thought of something wrong with her mother caused her to forget what was going on. "Call me as soon as you know something."

"I will," he assured. "Take care."

She then spun around and she gave a smile, ready to reassure them that all was well, when she really had no idea.