The First Time

At a time in the world where things were feeling less and less certain, there was one thing you could always count on… the Heroics.

Our planet’s team of superheroes.

And our heroes… never failed.

"Sorry I’m late," Miracle Guy tells Tech-no.

"I had to put the ISR synthetic aperture together," Tech-no responds.

"Let’s just hope it’s more than just a downed satellite… so the whole team can spring into action," Miracle Guy hopes.

"Let’s not. Be careful with that thing," Tech-no tells Miracle Guy

"When am I not careful?"

"All the time."

Miracle Guy flies out into outer space and checks the satellite. He notices something off about it.

"Hey, Tech-No," Miracle Guy asks for his partner over the comms.

"What’s up?"

"The solar array," Miracle Guy says, "It’s blown to bits."

"Seriously?"

"There’s something coming, a spaceship of some kind," Miracle Guy says. Then he dodges a blast that came from the ship.

"It just blasted some kind of energy ray at me. Do these clowns not know who I am," Miracle Guy complains.

"I don’t mean to be a nudge, but any idea how long this’ll take? I’m running on fumes," Tech-no says.

"Just a quick selfie for my socials while I stop this thing…" Miracle Guy says, then turns and realizes something.

"Wait a minute. There’s not one ship. There’s a whole armada out there," Miracle Guy says, his voice wavering.

"Funny, if I didn’t know better, I’d say you sound a little worried," Tech-no says, only to receive no answer.

"Miracle Guy?"

"H-Base! Come in, this is Tech-No. Miracle Guy’s been hit," Tech-no exclaims, catching Miracle Guy as he can flying down.

"Hit with what?"

"He’s barely conscious!"

"Miracle Guy is barely conscious?"

"Have a catcher ready," Tech-no tells into his comm, "I’m out!"

This was the day our heroes fell.

All of them.

But from that… others would rise.

It’s funny how when you look back on a day like this, it always begins so normal.

I mean, look at me.

I’m actually putting real thought into what I’m gonna wear.

Like any of this was gonna matter in an hour.

"This one says, “Talk to me,” and this one says, “Leave me alone.” Perfect," Missy Moreno says to herself, looking at a pink shirt with a smiley face and then a black shirt with a cute little skeleton holding a sunflower and choosing the black shirt.

She then heard her bracelet ping and her father's voice come through.

"Time for breakfast, Missy," Marcus Moreno told his daughter.

"Good morning, Dad. Be right there," Missy responded.

"In rather bizarre news, both Miracle Guy and Tech-No were spotted plummeting from the sky this morning. Must have been some kind of test drill for the Heroics defenses, for they deployed a giant safety net and caught the celebrated…" the TV is on and Marcus is watching what had happened that morning as Missy went downstairs and as she got to the sink where her father was cracking eggs into the sink and putting the shells in a bowl.