Chapter 2

New Orleans, Louisiana 

                                                                                       August 4 1921

It had taken two days to reach New Orleans. After all air travel was still in its trial stage and was only reserved for the rich. The good thing was your mother was rich and had placed you on multiple first class flights. You eventually reached the city. You look around in awe. You had never been to a major city before. It was amazing! You were in awe. Even though it was summer, Maine was very wet and it rained often. In New Orleans it was quite humid. You shrugged it off. You would just have to switch to a dress later so you wouldn't overheat. Although, you did prefer the heat. You placed your bags down. You were told that your sister was going to pick you up. You looked around. New Orleans looked amazing to you. Loud but it was still a beautiful city. You couldn't wait to explore the bars and lounges. You loved music. Of course you also wanted to try the restaurants as well. You just had to visit Bourbon Street. Suddenly you see your sisters car pull up. She had a nice car too. You had a good feeling this way of travel would improve. It was faster and more efficient then the trolley but unfortunately she couldn't always drive you because she worked very early in the morning so that meant more time taking the trolley. She was a seamstress. You understood of course but you were also an adult now. "Good Afternoon Mary!" she cheerfully told you. "Hello sister" you replied. "Are you ready to see my apartment and explore the city?" she asked. "Of course!" you replied. You opened the door to the passenger seat and hugged your sister. "I won't be able to drive you in the morning but I still can at night." she said. "Oh no Mary its no trouble! I can take the trolley!" you replied, confidently. Mary looked worried. You wondered why. "Sister there's been murders lately...a lot! They are calling the killer "The Butcher of New Orleans" she explained, with concern. Your eyes widened. "Wait didn't you send me a letter about it before I moved here?!" you questioned, scared. She went silent for a second but then replied. She felt bad. "I...I wanted to see my sister! I haven't seen you in years! " she replied, crying. Now you felt bad. "Mary...its ok...shh..." you said, hugging her. "I'm happy to see you too and ill let you drive me at night."  You told her. She beamed. "Ok! Lets go home now!" she replied, smiling again. You nod. "Yes, lets!" Your sister drove you and her home. You felt safer with her and you were sure she felt the same.

10 mins later

Your sister lived in the city near Bourbon Street so it didn't take long to get to her apartment. "Here we are sister!" she announced, parking her car in front of the Victorian apartment complex. "Wow has this been here since the city was built?" you asked. "Probably!" she replied. She opened her door and you opened yours. You stared at the apartment complex in awe. It was beautiful! "What I do know is there's lots of history here!" she explained, beaming with happiness. "Lets get you settled in!" she said. You nodded. You were excited. You and your sister went inside the building.