Chapter 5: Vanquished

One day to live…

It kept whirring in her mind. She had to talk to Momma. But what would she tell her? That her daughter, her only daughter, was going to be stolen by the darkness, and that she was allying herself with Cornelia? That this action—this forced transformation—that was going to happen to Jade, was as good as her being dead?

Of course, not. She lay on her soft bed and was lost in thought. Too lost, to know what was materialising around her.  It was only when she felt that familiar unearthly warmth that she snapped out of her thought and realised a weird figure seeping in from under the window frame. Her eyes narrowed and she felt a fearful sensation bring goose bumps to her skin.

No… no… no… not already…

Surprise,” said Cornelia, in a not-so-surprise manner.

“Why are you here now? I have one more day!” Jade exclaimed.

She smiled. “Ah, well. I can’t stay away from sister dear for so long, can I? How are you?” she asked in a mock-pleasant manner.

Jade chose not to respond.

You look good,” she said, inspecting Jade. “It won’t stay that way for long,” she murmured to herself.

Jade just barely caught her words. And when she did, her heart stopped beating and her breath was stuck in her throat. Her eyes froze on Cornelia’s fair face.

Connie grinned as she touched Jade’s hair. “Your hair is still as beautiful and soft as I remember from when I was a baby.

Jade felt a twirl of cold wind in her curls and she felt every movement, magnified. Connie, seeming a little sympathetic, compromised.

Oh, well, okay. Now that you seem to be so upset about how I'm going to deal with you, I’ll alter your punishment,” she said, in a thoughtful voice. She sat on Jade’s bed and put a slender, fair finger to her lips.

Jade could feel her heart constrict painfully. She took every breath with hesitation and her own green eyes remained fixed on Cornelia's scarlet ones. How her sister had changed and grown within a few weeks was inexplicable to her. Cornelia’s blonde curls had vermilion ribbons playing in her locks and the familiar unusual warmth radiated from her. From being chubby which she was before the fire, Connie had become skinny and elegant.

Oh never mind,” Cornelia said, suddenly. “I still want to surprise my dear sister.”

Jade thought her heart stopped beating. She missed all the paintings that they did together. She was yearning for Connie to come back. She was still holding herself responsible for the loss of her sister. And somehow, Cornelia knew it.

“Okay, I'm the one to blame,” Jade gave up. “I knew it was going to happen. I tried, Connie, trust me, I really tried saving you.”

Cornelia gave Jade a puzzled look. Then she composed.

You think that by confessing that you’re the culprit I’m going to spare you?” Cornelia bellowed her voice deep and resonant. Her scarlet eyes turned deep crimson and the orange ribbons began to spark. An absurd darkness seemed to have taken control over her and she began shaking with temper. It was almost as if she was fighting to gain control over herself.

“Connie?” Jade whispered.

Forgetting her fear, she went closer to her sister who sat on the bed.