Chapter 1

*Chiaras POV*

This was sureal. I was going to go to Canada with Lia. This was awesome! Everything was already packed. The stuff I was bringing with me filled two entire suitcases! I never really noticed how much stuff I had untill now. I just hoped That I didn't forget anything.
"Chiara, come on, the plane isn't going to wait for us. We're late already!", Lia called from the front door of the apartement.
"I'm coming! Don't worry, we won't be late anyways. If they don't wait for us voluntarily, we'll make them wait!", I laughed.
"Yeah sure, and we'll fly first class too", she giggled. Too bad that's not actually going to happen though.
I grabbed my suitcases and my bag, then made my way to the staircase. This could be fun.
In the end I was able to bring the suitcases to the car without breaking any bones, but it was really close. (seriously, I tripped over the larger suitcase and almost fell down the staires) I'm really glad, cause it would've sucked if I couldn't go to Canada.
On the way to the airport Lias parents and my mom were constantly reminding us to make sure to call them at least once a week and that we could come back anytime if we wanted. In the beginning we were really listening to them but after a few minutes I just started daydreaming.
What would it be like in Canada? Would Lia and me make friends? I hope my English wasn't going to be too bad. I wish I was a native speaker. That would make things SO much easier. Lia doesn't have that problem. She's part american and lived in the United States for a while too. Lucky.
"Chiara?"
"Hmm? Sorry, what were you saying?", I turned my head to see who was speaking.
"We've arrived at the airport", Lia laughed while opening her door.
I just smiled and got out of the car, so I could get my luggage.

We were in front of security, and that's where Lia and I would part from our families for a year. It's really sad to think of that. I'll really miss my mom, even though I won't miss our fights (not that there were many).
"Take care", my mom smiled at me and pulled me in for a hug. I quickly wrapped my arms around her and hugged her as tight as I could. This was going to be the last hug from her in a long time.
"And don't break too many boys hearts, okay?", my mom jokingly added, at which I burst into laughter. I didn't know why I thought it was so funny though.
"Of course", I smiled at her.
I turned around to see if Julia was ready to go. She was just about to turn around and say that she was ready to go, as her mom stopped her.
"Come on, let's all do one more picture!"
"No, please, I hate pictures of myself!", Lia yelled while trying to escape with her luggage in time. "A... And we'll miss the plane! Yeah, that's it. If we don't go through security now, the plane will leave without us! Right Chiara?", she tried to make a better excuse while looking at me with pleading eyes, asking for help.
She really didn't like having her picture taken. She didn't have a single Selfie on her instagram.
"Uh, Yeah! We really need to hurry up, don't wanna miss that plane!", I awkwardly stated. I didn't really know what else to say.
"Well then you better hurry up with that picture, 'cause you're not leaving before I've got it", Lias mom dryly said smiling, knowing that we couldn't get out of this.
"Mom please, Come on! Please just let us leave", Lia whined overdramatically.
"Julia, if you want to leave, you should just take a picture now, otherwise you'll really miss the airplane", her dad interjected.
"Lia, I don't think you're gonna get out of this", I laughed.
Finally we all (excluding Julias dad, he was taking the photo) posed for a picture, and as soon as the flashlight vanished, Lia and me grabbed our luggage and ran towards the security.
"Bye!", I called over my shoulder just before they dissapeared from my sight.
Thankfully the line was rather short (kinda proved that we were late though) and we got to the plane just before they stopped boarding.
We rushed to our seats (I luckily got to the seat at the window before Lia) and buckeled up.
"What do you think is waiting for us in Toronto?", Lia thought out loud.
"I don't know", I said honestly. I mean, of course I made up a lot of different scenarios of how our life's in Canada would be while lying awake in bed, but I was pretty sure that none of that would happen.
"Do you think I'll survive?", I asked her jokingly. "You know my English isn't very good."
Apparently that made Lia a bit mad.
"Chiara, I don't even know how many times we've talked about this! You are the best non-native english speaker in Switzerland I know. And yes, you may have an accent, but it sounds really cute, like, I don't know, a british or an australian accent", she scolded me, but with an understanding undertone. When we both went to a new school, where most of the students were native italian speakers (including me), since the school was half italian, Lia felt exactly like I felt right now. (except for the fact that she hardly knew any italian) She's gotten quite good in the last year, I must say.
"Thanks Lia", I laughed. The worry that I wouldn't quite fit in because of that still lingered, but Julia didn't need to know that.
I spent the rest of the flight trying to find a good movie to watch (that didn't happen though), listening to music and talking to Lia. When we finally arrived I was bursting with excitement and nervousness. Our suitcases were already there, so we got out really fast. Now all we had to do was to find our guest family. Piece of cake, right? Well, we searched for them for about 30 minutes, because we apparently missed each other like 5 times. At least they were really nice. The parents were called Patrica and Dean, and the children Lilly, Tom and Christina. Lilly and Tom were both 6 years old (adorable twins) and Christina was 16 years old. She wasn't there to greet us though, she was at a friends house.
Well, I really hope that all of this is gonna work out.