XV - Finally The Truth

Persephone looked at Lupin in the eyes in search of any sign of lie or madness. Then, she looked behind her; she wanted a confirmation and she looked for that in her uncle's eyes. However, when she did so she felt bad, because in them she found sincerity, but also despair. She could hear the silent plea he was sending to her, 'Believe me.'

And Persephone did. She always had, so she nodded.

"You're both mental" Ron said, probably expressing both Harry's and Hermione's thoughts.

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at uncle Sirius, whose face twitched convulsively.

"Let them explain! Don't you want to know the truth?!" said Persephone.

"Sephie..." Hermione said timidly, "I know that he's your uncle, but this is..."

"I know the truth! The truth is that he—" Harry said pointing again at uncle Sirius, "— is the reason why I don't have parents! He betrayed them!"

"Tells who?! Cornelius Fudge? Albus Dumbledore? I don't think they were there that night! You know, there is always two sides to every story!"

"Oh, really? Then it's a shame Peter Pettigrew can't tell us his side— Oh, but wait, that's only because he killed him!" retorted Harry.

"I meant to," uncle Sirius growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me... not this time, though!" Uncle Sirius lunged at Scabbers and Ron yelled with pain as his weight fell on his broken leg.

"Uncle Sirius, stop!"

"Sirius, NO!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging uncle Sirius away from Ron again, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that — they need to understand — we've got to explain —"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarled the other man, trying to throw Lupin off. One hand was still clawing the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face and neck as he tried to escape.

"They've — got — a — right — to — know — everything!" Lupin panted, still trying to restrain uncle Sirius. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Harry — you owe Harry the truth, Sirius!"

Persephone ran to put herself in front of Ron. "I promise: continue like this and I'll kick your butt, uncle or not! You want the truth to come out? Then tell us what happened and stop behaving like this!" she shouted pushing him away.

Uncle Sirius stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands.

"All right, then," he said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

"You're nutters, both of you. Sephie, you can't really believe them!" said Ron shakily, looking round at Harry and Hermione for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Lupin raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, trying to force the rat back into his front pocket, but Scabbers was fighting too hard; Ron swayed and overbalanced, and Harry caught him and pushed him back down to the bed. Then, ignoring uncle Sirius, Harry turned to Lupin.