XII - Foggy Orbs And Shining Victory

From this year experiences Persephone could confidently affirm that Hogsmeade days were cursed. They had to be. First, uncle Sirius causing panic with his attempt of break into the Gryffindor Common Room; then, there was her big argument with Harry; and now the news of Buckbeak's execution. What was wrong with the universe?

There was a positive aspect in all this gloomy atmosphere, though. Buckbeak's fate had succeeded there where Persephone had failed. Ron had finally took a step back and now he and Hermione had finally buried the hatchet.

It was awkward though. In a desperate attempt to make things like they were before, Hermione daily forced her to stay with her and the boys. The only problem was that they didn't speak to each other; the only link between them was Hermione who, in what she hoped was a subtle way, tried to encourage them to talk again. Hermione hadn't had any luck on that front, but for some reason — maybe exactly thanks to Hermione — Persephone had noticed that at least the two boys stopped glaring at her.

Since she had restarted to — more or less — hang out with Harry, Ron and Hermione, Persephone had no more opportunities to visit Hagrid. Indeed, the safety measures imposed on the students since uncle Sirius' second break-in made it impossible for them to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings, and orbing wasn't an option anymore. Their only chance of talking to him was during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seemed still numb with shock at the verdict.

"S'all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione, Persephone. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em..."

"There's still the appeal!" said Ron fiercely. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

They were walking back up to the castle with the rest of the class. Ahead they could see Malfoy, who was walking with Crabbe and Goyle, and kept looking back, laughing derisively.

"S'no good, Ron," said Hagrid sadly as they reached the castle steps. "That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that..."

Hagrid turned around and hurried back toward his cabin, his face buried in his handkerchief. "Look at him blubber!"

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle had been standing just inside the castle doors, listening.

"Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?" said Malfoy. "And he's supposed to be our teacher!"

As Persephone clenched her jaws, glaring daggers at the three Slytherins, Harry and Ron both made furious moves toward Malfoy, but Hermione got there first — SMACK!

She had slapped Malfoy across the face with all the strength she could muster. Malfoy staggered. Persephone, Harry, Ron, Crabbe, and Goyle stood flabbergasted as Hermione raised her hand again.

"Don't you dare call Hagrid pathetic, you foul — you evil —"

"Hermione!" said Ron weakly, and he tried to grab her hand as she swung it back.

"Get off, Ron!"

Hermione pulled out her wand. Malfoy stepped backward. Crabbe and Goyle looked at him for instructions, thoroughly bewildered. But Malfoy wasn't looking at them; his eyes were fixed on Persephone, as if he was expecting her to say something to Hermione, to defend him...

What had he taken her for?

Malfoy was about to say something, but his voice died in his throat when he saw Persephone's elegant, yet terrifying figure. Persephone was a natural beauty. She was breathtaking without even trying and it was a fact, but at the moment it wasn't her physical beauty that had frozen Malfoy. It was the cold in her eyes, the rose lips closed in a light line — unlike the usual pout she wore when upset — and her straight posture; the posture of a noble woman. In front of him there wasn't the usual Persephone he liked to tease...