Chapter One

One year later.

I jumped up on my bed and dug my fingers into the mattress.

Don't. You're not in that house anymore. Calm down.

I'm starting to get seriously worried about this. It's been happening for some time now.

I was also fed up with it.

I've been getting nightmares about my life in London. The shady parts. I hate it. I just... blatantly hate it.

I looked at the time. 6 am. It's become like an alarm clock now. Go to sleep, have a flashback, and wake up at six.... ugh.

I pushed the noises to the back of my head and woke up. It was a Saturday and I was waking up at six. Have to get used to it, I guess.

I walked over to the mirror and looked at myself. I was the same, red velvet hair, half pants, and a one-shoulder top, white-brown complexion, eyes a brilliant grey-green.

Whenever I used to speak in my initial English accent, I used to remember the bad days in my home. I really didn't want to, so I took up the New York accent. Being a fast learner helped as masking the English accent became a habit in a few months. So yup, I was a certified Yankee.

And yes, running away had been the best decision of my life so far. Maybe. I don't know. 

I walked out into the hall to see Brent tinkering with something in the dollhouse. I frowned bemusedly and leaned against the door frame, crossing my arms against my chest.

He clicked something and grinned. Then he stepped back a few feet.

BOOM!

I squeaked a little at hearing the little explosion. Whereas Lucy shrieked, "Ahhhh! Call Ethan! There're intruders in the house!"

Then she ran out of the room and I blocked her way, "Nothing's happened! Everything's fine." I said, trying to distract her.

Behind me, Brent was laughing and whooping.

"YOU HOMEWRECKER!" Lucy shrieked and tried to sidestep me when Lucas came out and grabbed her from the back.

I walked over and examined what Brent had done and said, "You've got to teach me that."

"What's all this commotion?" Daniel (Mr. Mason. He told me to call him that) said. And he stared at the dollhouse.

"Who did that?" Marissa (Mrs. Mason) asked. Lucy jabbed/pointed at Brent. He just shrugged.

Daniel just knelt in front of him and told him, "You've gotta teach me how you did that. But, it's gonna have to be somewhere outside. Alright?"

Brent nodded, grinning. Lucy glared at all of us and then scoffed. "I'll get you a new one," I told her.

"But that was my favorite dollhouse." She mumbled, staring at it sadly. I walked over and patted her on the shoulder. She just sighed and walked away. I laughed, shaking my head.

"Well," I say. "That was a nice start to the weekend."

A few hours later, we were in the nearby park when I noticed a popcorn stall by the lake. I excused myself and went to buy popcorn. As I was going back, I saw a guy at the lake. He looked thin. Too thin, almost malnourished. 

I stood beside him and softly said, "Hey." He jumped and looked at me.

He had brown skin color, which goes very well in contrast to his light green eyes. And right now he had almost no emotion in those eyes. He had dark brown hair which looked like it had been combed by fingers. He was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a jacket was tied around his waist. He even had two bracelets in his left hand, a name engraved in each of them.