Chapter One.

The wind howls as a young girl stares out of a fogged up window. Her hand ever so slightly glazes over the stained glass. Her eyes are filled with a powerless and dull look. Flora's heart skips a beat. Dolefully, the brunette blinks and turns away, running toward who knows where. If you were to look through the window, you would see a car with two young women in it. The car is driving at a leisurely speed around the scenery. Kate Mandell sits in the driver's seat, admires the scenery and mutters to herself. Her teenage daughter lays asleep in the seat beside her.

"(Y/N), you've got to see this." Kate exclaims. (Y/N) rubs her eyes and turns her head to face her mother. She then looks out at the property. Her eyes widen as she attempts to take in the sight of the wonderous mansion in its entirety. The two face each other again and giggle. Kate lovingly stares at her sixteen year old daughter and faces back to the wheel, stopping the car.

"This really is incredible. We're going to have fun here. Hopefully it's not haunted." The young mother teases while beginning to tickle (Y/N). In response, (Y/N) squirms and chuckles, pushing her mothers arms away. She refocuses her eyes on the landscape and sighs. This is a much grander house than her small apartment back at home. Kate unbuckles her seat belt and motions to the girl to join her. They grab their bags and haltingly walk to the door, their eyes darting from garden to garden. Once the two reach the door, Kate turns to her only daughter and gives her a meager smile.

"Should we knock?" She asks, still smiling. (Y/N) nods and they rap on the door three times, simultaneously. After a long pause, Kate inhales and presses her knuckles against the door, once more. No response. The two stare at each other in confusion before Kate starts to make her way to the greenhouse, with (Y/N) following a few steps behind her.

In the greenhouse, a brittle, old lady tends to pansies and other plants. She is wearing a blue, textured sweater with a long grey skirt. She lightly trims at the garden around her and handles them with care. Her piercing blue/grey eyes shoot to the entrance when she hears two sets of footsteps.

"Hello?" The tall woman calls out, peering around the corner. She is immediately taken aback by the beauty of the nature surrounding her.

"Hello." The older woman responds in a cold tone. (Y/N) glances up at her mother and he mother gives her a look.

"You must be Mrs Grose. It's nice to meet you." Kate starts.

"Come now. I'll show you inside." She begins walking at a steady pace toward the house. Kate and (Y/N) are unsure about what to do but they follow the lady inside the alluring house. Charming artwork is hung on every wall. The mansion seems like it's never ending.

"So, Kate, have you ever been a governess before?" Mrs Grose squints her eyes at the young woman.

"I haven't yet, no. This is my first time." She replies.

"Well, I hope you'll be good at it." She spits out.

"Um, where is.. Flora, is it?" Kate asks, breaking the silence.

"She's in the stable." (Y/N) nervously shifts her eyes to the bowl of apples.

"Uh, may I? I'm (Y/N) by the way. It's lovely to meet you." (Y/N) smiles, politely and extends her hand. Mrs Grose stares blankly at the young girl and nods.

"You may. Flora must be awaiting your arrival. Run along now." Her lip quivers as Kate and her daughter leave the kitchen. Mrs Grose hesitates. Her eyes glaze over as she watches the pair make their way to the stable, laughing and admiring the property, yet again. She sniffs, and instantly wipes her nose before returning to her duties in the kitchen.