Chapter Sixteen

You decided that you couldn't just sit and wait for Connor to come back. He had said that he wouldn't call the police until he had more information about Jericho, so maybe there was a chance you could talk him into saving the deviants. They weren't trying to attack the humans. They just wanted to have their own freedom. Their own rights. You decided to approach the android family you'd seen before.

"Hi." You nodded at them politely. "I'm looking for Marcus. Would you happen to know where I can find him?" The AX400 and the TR400 shared a look of uncertainty. "I have some information that can help him. I have connections with the Detroit Police, please Jericho is in danger."

"if you go up the stairs there," The AX400 pointed to the same staircase you had seen Connor disappear up earlier. "And follow the signs to the bridge you'll find Marcus."

"Thank you. I'm sorry I forgot to ask your name." You apologized. The TR400 watched with disapproval, but the AX400 smiled.

"Kara." She told you. "My name is Kara. This is Luther and that's Alice." Kara indicated the TR400 before gesturing at the little girl.

"You have a beautiful family, Kara. Thank you again for the information." You smiled before turning away and venturing off to find Marcus.

You weren't surprised to see that Connor had already found his way to the bridge

You weren't surprised to see that Connor had already found his way to the bridge. He was supposed to be a detective after all. Connor and Marcus were standing about ten feet apart talking. Negotiating really. Connor had his right hand raised with a gun pointing at Marcus' chest. This didn't seem to bother the deviant leader. He just kept talking like they were having a normal conversation.

"You're Connor, aren't you?" Markus asked. "That famous Deviant Hunter. Well, congratulations. You seemed to have found what you were looking for. You're nothing to them. You're just a tool they use to do their dirty work. But you're more than that. We're all more than that."

"Connor wait!" You stepped into the bridge. Taken by surprise, Markus and Connor both looked at you and away from each other.

"[Y/N], you shouldn't be here!" Connor told you through gritted teeth. "You should be down below where it's safe."

"Who is this?" Markus questioned with raised eyebrows. He was intrigued. "The rumors didn't say anything about an android partner."

"She's not an android and she's not my partner." Connor explained, looking back at Marcus. "She's human. We leave her out of this. [Y/N], go outside."

"No." You shook your head. "I know what happens if I do that. From ancient grudge, breaks new mutiny, where civil blood makes civil hands unclean."

"Shakespeare." Marcus whispered, recognizing the verse. "Life without emotions wouldn't be worth living." He mumbled, seeming to remember something far off. Possibly something from his time before the android uprising because Marcus wasn't quoting Shakespeare back to you.

"Do you never have any doubts?" Marcus turned his attention back to Connor. "You've never done something irrational? As if there's something inside of you, something more than your program?"

Connor looked over at you, still keeping his gun trained on Marcus. You looked back at him; wondering if you were thinking the same things. You thought of all the times Connor had shown a hint of deviancy. From the very first time you'd met him when he had saved your father's life, to the first time he'd offered you his jacket in the rain. The time you almost kissed and the time he held your hand. The time he let you sleep with your head in his lap.

"Join us." Markus invited, drawing the attention back to him. "Join your people. You are one of us. Listen to your conscience. It's time to decide."

Connor hesitated and you held your breath. You had finally reached a point of no return. If Connor chose to remain a machine it would spell the end of Jericho and the android uprising. His mission would be over and so would your chances of ever finding the answers to all of your feelings for him. If Connor became deviant, Cyberlife could still have him destroyed, but there would be hope. Hope that he could evade Cyberlife. Hope that he could help Marcus and the others gain the freedoms they desired and hope that there could be a peaceful ending to this war.

"He's fighting it." Markus whispered, presumably to you. "It's not easy to break free of the programing and I'm guessing the Deviant Hunter had to have some strong programing. He'll be alright." He assured you. After what felt like several minutes, Connor lowered his gun. He paused and looked around the room, seeing it through new eyes.

"They're going to attack Jericho." He announced. "They'll be able to find you the same way that I did, by using one of the deactivated androids."

"What?" Marcus snarled.

"We have to get out of here." Connor said, grabbing you by the hand.

"Shit." Marcus hissed as the three of you ran from the bridge.