- but he knows that's not the case.

it's not about using him for his background. it's not about using him at all. "have you ever stopped and thought to yourself - " he tilts his head just enough to see him in his peripheral, " - in what way can i ever leave an imprint to this world?"

it's a question bruno asked himself quite often, and he'd like to know what the other man would say. he'd want to know what he says this very moment, so then he can decide whether or not all of this is worth it.

"answer that question for me, and then i'll answer yours." he then turns to him, expectant but not pushy, holding his gaze until one of them turns away.

───────────────

He glanced up at the man a moment before giving a heavy sigh, leaning his elbow on the table with his weight on it. "Imprint, huh?" He repeated, though seemed to pull away at the question, like it was some sort of secret to him alone. But, it could be the drink he had in him to make him ponder on answering the man. Mde his lips a lot looser than they normally would be.

He looked down at the floor, giving it serious though on how he'd answer. "Of course I have. That's why I became an officer to begin with. But all that made no difference at all. I was just someone to direct blame onto for every little thing. All I've managed to do-" He couldn't help but catch himself. Images of his partner laying dead in a pool of his own blood. The memories never changed. They were always vivid no matter how many bottles were emptied. He hated it with ever living part he had.

"All I managed to do was cost people their lives. All because I got tired of being useless. I screwed up big time. Just because of greed and selfishness. I should have done my job. If I had-" Abbacchio didn't want to continue. His voice was failing him. He didn't want to lay out his sins for the other to see. Not all of them at least.

He made it clear that he did want to make a difference. He just got tired of doing it the legal way and getting no where.

───────────────

"look at me." it takes him a few steps to reach the other's seat, but he stands there with his palm close enough to touch the man's cheek, yet bruno never made an attempt to do so.

"you're a man beyond your past. someone worthy of a future than the one you've already set for yourself." he waits for the other to look at him, and his smile - despite melancholic - was warm with understanding. "you've fought your battles alone, and i'm not asking you to drop everything behind and join me, but - "

he takes a leap of faith then and ever so gently presses his palm against the other's cheek. it's unlikely of him to do this much just to bring someone in his team. no, frankly, he feels there's much more to this. maybe it's the same look of despair he saw in his father that day when his mother asked him to choose to go with her. maybe it's the way / he / looked at him with plea in his eyes as if bruno held some answer to his lifelong questions.

" - i'm asking you to start your life over. it's not the best occupation for a man living in regret, and i can't promise it's going to be a fulfilling life," there's a small temptation to brush his thumb across the other's cheekbone, but he holds back. this wasn't the time, "but i can only hope to serve you back some semblance of normalcy before all of it went downhill."

he pulls his hand away and curls them by his side, already hyperaware that he's overstepping boundaries despite being strangers towards each other; a little less on his end, confirming the idea he'd done a bit of background check beforehand.

"it would be an honor to have you, leone."

───────────────