the lines we cross | jj x m!reader

Start from the beginning

jj mentioned someone about you being topper's better half, causing you to roll your eyes and down the drink he gave you. you were supposed to be the golden child, the one that caused people to remember topper as your brother, but your parents had stolen that from you.

you didn't really remember much more about that night, but you did remember the end. you and jj had ended up getting into a heated argument towards the edge of the party, and other began leaving. eventually there was no one around you when the whole thing came to a head; jj grabbed your face in his hands and kissed you. to say you were shocked was an understatement. before that, you had heard jj would sometimes pick up male tourists, but you never even suspected he would ever go for a kook like you, but there he was, kissing you like he was an addict and you were his next hit.

what you two did later that night in the Volkswagen he'd borrowed from john b was supposed to be a one time thing. until a week later when he appeared at your window and dragged you to a secluded part of the beach to have a repeat. and then a few days later when you showed up at the yacht club where he worked and tugged him into a storage closet.

then suddenly you were just talking and going on picnics until the both of you realized you weren't just hooking up. you were dating. it was immediately agreed that it should be kept a secret; if it got out that you were dating a pogue, your reputation, and that of your family's, would take a hit, and jj was known to hate kooks. he couldn't be seen having feelings for you. this worked for the two of you for just over a month before you started getting sloppy.

one day you were spending the afternoon with sarah, laughing as you lounged on her family's boat. she had somehow convinced her dad to let her take it out with you, and it seemed lik you had the entire intercoastal to yourselves. you let out a contented sigh and stretched out your limbs like a cat in the sun. you glanced over when sarah suddenly gasped.

"what is it?" you asked, propping yourself up on your elbows to properly look at her.

"oh my god, when did you get those?" she reached out to touch your chest. you looked down to see love bites littering your torso. "when did you find someone to hook up with?"

"i, uh, it's no big deal," you tried to brush off her questions. "just some dude i've been hooking up with from the next town over."

"wait, the same guy? for how long?"

"sarah, it really isn't that big of a deal. i've gone through most of the dudes here, and i'm bored of seducing tourists, so having a boot call half an hour away is the easiest thing."

"sounds pretty tedious if you ask me."

"yeah, well, i don't exactly have a deep pool of potential lays, do i, sarah?"

she sighed and nodded, giving your shoulder a squeeze. "you're right. i'm sorry for pressing. i just wish your family didn't put this pressure on you to be so perfect. you should be happy."

"they let me be out," you tried to defend your parents.

"on certain conditions, y/n. you can no longer have the position you deserve, you can't date anyone who isn't a kook, and they won't even let you really be proud of who you are. you need to stay reserved, a respectable gay man, not a gay teenager having fun."

you shrugged. "it is what it is, sarah. we can't all rebel against our families."

oh but you wished you could. as you helped sarah get ready for her date with john b, you wished you could be the type to rebel against your family. you longed to hold hands with jj in public and kiss him whenever you wanted to, but you knew it wasn't just about you. what about jj? you never knew where he stood with possibly going public one day.