Chapter 1: School Daze

At age fourteen, the bubbly and fun Tori Stone had the palest peach skin that was complemented by her rosy red cheeks and shocking emerald eyes.  Her brown pencil-wrapped ringlets were pulled up into a high ponytail and had some framing her face, grazing her shoulder blades. She was very dainty looking, about five foot two, like a porcelain doll.  But just because she is short, that doesn't mean her imagination or creativity is. 

   "Good morning!" she greeted her peers in her singsong voice as she passed by.

   Jake Manson has been Tori's best friend since kindergarten, and they are pretty much inseparable. For fourteen, Jake was fairly tall, about five foot seven. His medium, midnight black hair was gleaming in the lights as he walked down the hall past the bright red lockers.

   "Hey," he said, turning his piercing,  his icy blue and steel grey gaze to Tori, who was at her locker.

   "Hey yourself," she replied, smiling up at the familiar face.

   "What class are you heading to?"     

   "Math," Tori said, making a face.

   Jake's eyes filled with amusement as she jumped, trying to reach a notebook in the very back of her locker, on the shelf.

   "Here," he said, handing Tori her notebook.

   "Thanks," she replied as the bell rang.

   *                               *                                  *

   Class flew by, and before I knew it, I was being whisked away to science with Mr.Simpson. He was a middle-aged man with chestnut brown hair flecked with bits of grey and white. His hair and skin may have been a giveaway to his true age, but his youthful and vibrant dark hazel eyes were not.

   Science is probably one of my most favourite subjects, along with English. What felt like five minutes later, I was packing up my notes and heading for art. I waited for the crowded hallways to empty before stopping at my locker to drop off my books. Gripping my eraser, I trudged up to the second floor, pencil tucked neatly behind my ear in a reporter fashion per usual. I arrived within two minutes and silently crossed the blue, orange, and white room. I sank into my seat, my eyes quickly scanning the room. 

   The teacher started lecturing us on how to mix paint, something I already knew how to do. I spaced out within two minutes of the lecture. I was staring off into space, leaning on my elbow, chin propped up with my hand, when I heard a light knock. I sat upright, looking around, seeing some kids flicking paper, some scribbling notes furiously on the lecture, others passing notes, and about half the class zoning out- nothing out of the usual.

   I settled back down, and not a minute later I heard the same knock again. Glancing around I saw that no one moved. Passing it off as my overactive imagination, I went back to as I was. This time the knock was closer, somewhere behind me. I spun in my chair, facing the window.

   "Ms. Stone!" 

   The slightly plump, twenty- three-year-old blonde glared at me, her grey eyes staring directly at me.

   "Sorry Ms. Wilson!" was all I said, turning back around in my seat.

   I sat slouched again and heaved a sigh.

   "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee................"

   I blinked hard, not moving. Then a muffled noise again found my ears. Soon I was able to make out they were... calling my name? I must be hearing things, I concluded.

   "Toooooooorrrrriiiiiiii..."

   My head snapped up, and my hand shot to my neck. I rubbed the back of my neck in pain. I stole a glance, still not finding the source.

 *                                 *                                    *

   The rest of the day passed by normally, aside from the awkward noise coming from who knows where. I was sitting in homeroom, staring at the clock intently, waiting for the bell to ring. Just one more minute... thirty seconds...five, four, three, two, one...

   BRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNGGG!

   I jumped out of my seat and sprinted to my locker. I dialed my combination and pulled- no, ripped- open my locker. I grabbed my books and shoved them into my backpack, slamming my locker shut and re-locking it. As soon as I was out the door, I ran to my bus, hopping in and taking my usual seat- fourth one back, left row. I sat down and stared out my window. After a few minutes we pulled away, the trees whizzing by me as we sped on.