Fear creeping its way into my heart at his appearance and quiet rage, I pull him into the dark of my kitchen, sitting him on a wooden chair as I search for my first-aid kit. He remains silent, face pinched and eyes dark, as I sift through my shelves until I find the small box in the meditation room. He's obviously gotten into a fight, and my mind instantly flits to Liam. Harry said Liam wasn't answering his calls... could this scuffle have been instigated over Zoe? And if so, who started the fight and what exactly prompted it? I'm unsure, but it must have been pretty bad for Harry to look like this.

I just don't understand why he would come here of all places.

Even though we had a moment of peace and comradery earlier today, our relationship has been tumultuous as of late: his laughter at my confession still echoing in my nightmares like a song I can't get out of my head. So, why would he choose my home as a safe haven, a place to lick his wounds? Zoe is a doctor, isn't she the more logical choice?

I contemplate all of this as I sit across from Harry and dig through the box for supplies, still stunned by his sudden appearance, but his silence is grating on my worn nerves and turbulent heart.

"Harry, you need to tell me what happened." He flinches when I lift his chin to examine the wounds, but he still remains mum. In the light of the kitchen, I can now see the dried blood on his cheek from the wound on his eyebrow and clean that first.  His curls fall over his forehead and although his eyes are dark with anger, there's a sadness there that makes me look away.

I grab hydrogen peroxide and soak a cotton ball, bringing it up to the cut on Harry's plump lip. I feel his gaze searching my face, breath warming my cheeks, but I keep my focus on his wound. Touching the gauze to his lip, he hisses harshly and rears back with a curse.

"Yes, this is going to sting, Harry. It can't be any worse than getting the injury, though."

If he's shocked by my short tone, he doesn't show it, just slumps his shoulders and leans in so I can get a better angle. We sit in silence as I finish cleaning the blood from his lip and eyebrow, knowing he'll have a scar there, the cut is so deep. He tries very hard not to show how much pain he's in, but can't control his winces and shaking knee. It hurts me to see him hurt, to know it was likely caused by a fight with his best friend.

But, I can't help my frustration at his choice to come to me instead of Zoe. It's only making hope grow inside of me like an incessant weed and I just need for him to take pesticide to it, just reject me outright so I can move on.

To just stop showing up and confusing my weary heart.

"Thank you, Nova."

His voice is low, the slight tremor there making my stomach flutter and breaths shudder. His tongue curls around the vowels of my name, meaningful and soft, like a curse that pierces through my flesh and muscle to damn my heart. 

I can only sigh and nod, slightly irritated with him for showing up and avoiding my questions, but still pleased to see him like I always am. Avoiding his intense stare, I grab his hand to dab at the bloodied, swelling knuckles. His fingers twitch at the stinging disinfectant, though he remains still and silent. It's when I'm wiping at his pinky knuckle that his fingers curl around my hand, calloused and warm and so, so comforting.

My movements falter as his thumb traces over the back of my hand and eyes study every feature of my face. Reluctantly, I meet his gaze, the hairs raising on the back of my neck when I see the adoration there, just barely darkened by his still simmering anger.

His eyes are too honest, too tender, that I have to pull my hand away, shaking slightly as I clean up all the cotton I used.

The silence is deafening, only our beating hearts and heavy breaths filling the space between us. I throw the bloodied cloth into the trash, but feel his gaze on me all the while. I fill the kettle with water and set it to boil just for something to do, because he still hasn't told me what happened or why he's here and I'm not sure what he wants from me.