24. 𝔰𝔲𝔷𝔦𝔢, 𝔡𝔬 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔠𝔬𝔭𝔶 𝔭𝔞𝔯𝔱 𝔱𝔴𝔬

Start from the beginning

>>>

Dustin dropped his duffel bag onto his bed with a thud, plopping down beside it as he wiped a forming tear from his eye. His eyes darted to Yurtle Henderson, Dustin's pet tortoise who slowly peeked his head out from his shell as he sat comfortably in his glass case.

Sniffling, Dustin's lips twisted into a smile and he let out a small chuckle, "At least someone's happy I'm home."

Then the distorted sound of Dustin's toys all clamoring together caused him to snap his head over to face his closet where one by one they emerged causing Dustin to jolt to his feet.

His eyes went wide as they all came to life, rolling out Dustin's open door. Quickly grabbing for the Farrah Fawcett spray that had been suggested to him by the one and only Steve Harrington, he rushed after them.

He crept behind the herd of gadgets and playthings, watching as they all ventured out towards his living room. "It's just a dream. You're dreaming." Dustin mumbled under his breath, his finger latched onto the knob of the spray can.

Once Dustin made it to the living room, suddenly, the toys just stopped right in their places, shutting down. Dustin rushed over to the toys, inspecting them, unaware of seven figures looming from right behind him.

Seven noisemakers sounded from right behind him causing a giant scream to belt from his lips as he shot to his feet, swiveled around, and squeezed the knob of the spray can.

The high pitched shriek of Lucas Sinclair was what filled the room. His eyes were screwed shut, the hairspray building up against his closed eyes as Dustin and Lucas hollered out in unison.

>>>

Max held Lucas' head under the kitchen faucet, her grip gentle as she stared down at her boyfriend with worry. He slowly stood up fully, groaning a little as he rubbed his eyes, "Better?" She mumbled, her eyebrows knitting together.

"Still stings." Lucas admitted, a small pant to his voice as he pinched the bridge of his nose for a second. He looked to his girlfriend, his face twisted up as he pointed to a small red dot swollen on her face, "Is that a new zit?"

Max shut her eyes for a moment, astounded by his question. Her eyes flew open and she shook her head a lit, in disgust, "What is wrong with you?" She questioned, grabbing the back of his head and submerging his eye back under the faucet.

"I was just asking!"

Meanwhile, Dustin spun a dial, the wings of an almost smaller version of a wind propeller twisting around as a smile plaster onto Dustin's face. Y/n, Bradley, Mike, Will, and Eleven Hopper watched this go on.

"I call it... the Forever Clock." Dustin grinned from ear to ear, his eyes flickering from each of his friends, a bit disappointed by the looks of boredom on Mike and Eleven's faces. However, his disappointment quickly faded at the excitement that spread on Bradley's face.

"Awesome." Brad mumbled under his breath, Dustin's smile growing and Y/n nodding her head in agreement from right beside him, "How does it work?"

"It's powered by wind. Very useful in the apocalypse." He explained, emphasizing the word 'very' as he continued to look from friend to friend, soaking in their varied reactions like a sponge.