Closing Window

I sat there cleaning off the blood sitting between El's legs as she sobbed and held on tightly to my arm. When I finished I threw the rag off to the side and sat down in front of her letting her keep hold of me as she held on tightly. I looked at her sadly as she shook on the cold floor, she looked so tired, I know now that she really is getting sick. I reached forward and brushed some hair out of her face, she looked up at me and stared, I used my thumb to wipe away a few escaped tears. I stared at her and softly caressed her cheek, she placed her hand on my wrist and moved it up to my hand and held it. She let go of my arm and placed her other hand on mine and buried part of her face in it, it was likely she was cold, she felt cold, at least compared to how warm my hands are. I wish I could do something about that, but I knew if I did I would get in trouble and it'd all be over with a snap...literally. "El..." I said softly, she sat there with her eyes closed being unresponsive. "El." She opened her eyes but didn't do more. "Look at me." She listened and looked up at me, her chocolate eyes glazed from tears. I smiled softly and caressed her cheek once more. "I promise...I promise I'll stop this. I promise." I could tell something in her lit up but right away faded.

"Max!"

"Hold on!"

"Get up here!'

"I said hold on!"

"Maxine Marie Mayfield! IF YOU'RE NOT UP HERE IN THE NEXT 30 SECONDS I'M SENDING YOUR BROTHER DOWN!"

"OKAY! I'm coming!" I turned to El, by the look in her eyes I already knew what was going to happen.

"No..." She said weakly.

"El-"

"No. No. No, no, no."

"I know, I know, but I'll be back." She grabbed onto my arm.

"No. No. No."

"I'm sorry El." I took my arm from her hands making her whimper.

"No...No! No!"

"El please-"

"No! No! No!"

     I pursed my lips, I hated leaving her all alone down here but no matter what, I had no choice. I stood up and started to slowly back up, she got onto her hands and knees trying to crawl to me but her chains weighed her down and she was in too much pain. My lip quivered watching her and tears welled in my eyes, I turned and made my way to the staircase as she began to wail, I couldn't bare to look at her and went up the steps holding everything in as I reached the floor. I slowly closed the door behind me and stood there wiping away my verged tears. I turned and walked into the kitchen where my father stood, his arms crossed and a disappointed look sitting on his face.

"She's not talking." He said

"But-"

"We gave her time Max."

"Yes, I know. She was doing well until you went with his plan."

"I understand that now, but we can't wait any longer."

"Please, just give us more time."

"...If you don't get her talking anytime tomorrow, she's out the next day." I looked down and stayed like that for a moment then nodded and turned on my heel heading to the stairs, I could feel my father's eyes burning holes through me. This needs to end.

-

      Another day, gone. It's now another night. I'm writing to pass by some time as I wait to go see her. This could be my last night with her if I don't do something, I know I'm going to have to figure out something fast, I only have so long, my window is closing. I can't lose her, not now, not ever. This needs to end.