Chapter 114: Tremble

Start from the beginning

"Kazumi." Asano called as they run.

"Yes?"

"How strong do you think are the members of the lower kizuki?" Asano asked.

".... I guess a bit more stronger than the demons we killed just now.... and you?" Kazumi answered.

"Same. I think they could surely kill us." Asano answered back.
"If ever the time comes, it's either the demons or the slayers would be the one to kill us."

'He's right.... after all, the three of us are still a part of the assassins who kill slayers.'

     Until their scene changed again (Kai and Fuji skipped a lot). Now it's raining and Kazumi's running towards a certain part of the forest. She then suddenly came to a halt as she saw a familiar figure leaning on a tree bark.

"Asano." She said as she ran towards him.

He's bloody and his right arm is missing. His mask was broken and his cloak torn apart. He held his sword broken in half with his left hand.

"Ka.... zumi." He muttered out with his head down.

"Let's go back." Kazumi replied holding his left arm.

"I'm really glad to be your friend."

"What?"

"I'm happy that in this lifetime of mine, I got to meet you."

"Asano please don't speak anymore, let's go back."

"I'm sorry, seems like I can't take the final selection with you."

"Asano!"

"Seems like aniki has to say goodbye first."

"Please...."

"Just to think of it.... today is the same month me and Fu met you.... A year has passed so you're six now." Asano then held her hands back as he let go of his sword.
"It may be a short time but.... I.... enjoyed it."

".... Stop."

"Kill me."

That word of his seemed to stop the time for Kazumi and the slayers.

"I could feel it.... I'm slowly turning into a demon because of this choker.... seems like if we die wearing this.... we'll turn into one." Asano said as he look up to Kazumi, his right eye already having slit pupils.

"I.... can't do that." Kazumi replied.

"You can.... you're my sister after all." Asano smiled.

Kazumi then picked up his broken sword as she stood up. Asano kept his pained smile as he look at her. As she raise her hand, in just one swift move, Asano's head fell on the ground. Because of the demon blood that consumed half of his body, he shortly disintegrated.

The slayers stood there still, speechless as they look at Kazumi standing still as her trembling hands drop the sword. She then looked at her hands, she didn't cry but for the first time, her hands were trembling. This sole night, she has to end her own friend and brother's life.

With her hands still trembling, she picked up Asano's broken sword and his scabbard carrying it with her. She also picked up both his daggers that were tossed away.

'Why?....'
She asked herself in her mind as she slowly walk away.
'.... He's a very cheerful person.... he.... he's always loud.... and.... full of energy.'

She continued to walk as she then heard a demon from the opposite direction. She dashed forward towards it as she saw a demon about to devour an unconscious slayer.

"What the—" Yuichiro said as their eyes widened.

Kazumi shielded the slayer with her own as she ended up having her mask broken and the right side of her forehead wounded. Some strands of her hair fell down the ground. As the slayers look at the person she just shielded, it was none other than the current Serpent Pillar, Iguro Obanai.

"You brats kept on getting in my way!" The demon exclaimed.
"Tch! Seems like you're the same as the other one."

This caught Kazumi's attention as she look at the demon with her eyes covered with her own hair. The demon's hands have sharp bones that emerged out of his knuckles, his dirty and wet plain white kimono have holes, and most importantly, he has the kanji for lower two on his right eye.

'A member.... of the lower kizuki.'

"I guess you know that other one since you're wearing the same mask as him. Heh! He fought very well, although I didn't manage to eat him since I have to go after that slayer behind you. But I did managed to critically injure him and even took one of his arms off. Hahaha!" He said as he laugh.

'So.... this bastard did it.'

As the demon dash towards her again, she stood there still as the demon felt his abdomen stabbed. Kazumi pulled her sword out as she sent him a kick that sent him back a little.

"You damn—!" He got cut off as he received another slash on his mouth.

"You're.... too noisy." Kazumi muttered out.

And with that, the demon was swarmed with multiple stabs and slashes. As he fell on his knees twitching and coughing out blood, Kazumi stood right in front of him. As he's about to open his mouth to say something, she already slashed it.

"Still trying to talk."

Zenitsu covered his mouth obviously scared at what just happened as Tanjiro held a look of pity, not for the demon but for her. They watched as Kazumi walk closer to Obanai and looked at him. Kaburamaru then hissed a little who seemed like thanking her.

'A white snake and bandages around the lower part of his face.... Iguro Obanai-san.'

Kazumi then took her cloak off as she used it to cover him. She walked a bit further away from him as she sat down under a tree and wait for someone to rescue him before she leave. After half an hour of waiting, sitting under the tree and wet by the rain, kakushis arrived as she ran away.

'I killed Asano yet I managed to protect the other one.... How cruel.... Why?.... Why does it have to be Asano when it could've been me.'