1 - The start of a new year

Start from the beginning

"None of your business you weasel." Marlene spat.

"Hey leave off!" Sirius fired back. "You're probably all talking about how good looking I am -"

"Get over yourself Black!" You defended Marlene. "I wouldn't waste my breath on a man like you -"

"That makes you the only girl in this building that wouldn't."

"Oh I can tell you for a fact there's many who'll side with me."

"And many who'll side with me."

"I wouldn't go as far as 'many' -"

"Says the one -"

"Welcome back everyone!" A loud booming voice cut Sirius off, Dumbledore began to address the school. "Ah yes welcome, welcome! Back again for another year! Now, I must remind you all that wandering around after hours is forbidden ... some of you will do best to remember that." He began to stare at the Gryffindor table, eyeing up The Marauders which only made the four of them smile.

"This year will bring on new challenges much like every year and I hope you take them all in your stride and accept them with great determination. I also hope that perhaps this year," Dumbledore turned to look at you, a smile tugging on his lips. "Some of you will discover new friends whether they be walking among us or lurking in the shadows."

You gave him a rather confused look at the words that were clearly directed at you but Dumbledore could be a confusing man so you naturally brushed him off, thinking nothing of his words. 

"Enough of my words ... let the feast begin!" As he finished talking piles of food began to appear on the tables and your goblets began to fill with pumpkin juice. Much like the other students, you began to pile your plate high with food. Hogwarts dinners were far different than the ones you received at home. Since your father had been a half-blood he was paid a larger sum of Galleons, unlike your mother. Ever since she passed your Dad took fewer hours at the Ministry which made it harder to afford all the things you used to. 

It wasn't that the two of you weren't able to put food on the table, you just wished your father wouldn't spend all the money on you. At least when you ate at Hogwarts you knew he was using the money to buy food and clothes for himself. 

"So (y/n)," James spoke as he started to chew on his food. "you excited for Quidditch this year?" 

"Of course I am." You replied. "Why wouldn't I be excited to win the cup?"

Both you and James were on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. The pair of you were chasers who always gave the rival teams a run for their money. Despite how much Lily didn't like James the two of you spoke briefly and would always have a few odd conversations during practice which she always disapproved of but you always said the same when she had the odd conversation with Sirius. 

"I've been told me we play Ravenclaw first," James said. He was the Quidditch Captain for Gryffindor so he always got the information first and thankfully he always passed it onto you rather abruptly. "practice will go ahead tomorrow evening just before dinner, I'll let everyone else know when we get up to the common room."

"Sounds good to me." You sent him a small smile which caused both Sirius and Lily to roll their eyes. 

"So," Mary began to speak. "who's excited for our O.W.Ls this year?"

"Don't remind me." Marlene scoffed as she continued to eat. "I reckon I'll fail them -"

"Come on Marl," You spoke up. "they aren't so bad, they're easy if you study -" 

"Easy for you," Sirius spoke up. "Because you don't have a life outside that library." 

"Yes, I do." You defended. "Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist."