Chapter Seventeen:

"Just a few more pins, Your Majesty," the seamstress mumbled with pins and sewing needles in her mouth. Patiently, Eulalie obeyed as the final, finishing touches were placed on her ballgown. 

     She'd been dashing around the past few weeks preparing for the ball held in honor of her daughter. She'd impressed courtiers and members of the royal family alike with her eagerness and quick turnaround following the baptism.

     Members of court watched with astonishment evident in their eyes as she placed decorations by hand and tasted every entree personally leading up to the festivities. None of this bothered Eulalie, however. She was happy that the whole of the palace thought her distracted and consumed by her work. 

     Behind the scenes of all of her planning for one event, she was secretly plotting another. Bags were packed and tucked away while Eulalie sent Elisabetta out to the countryside to spot the best hiding places. Supplies and rations were stored away while Eulalie was studying up on the flora and fauna native to Absalon's forests. She ensured that her prized horse, Albertine, was being exercised daily and fitted for fine new horseshoes. 

      None of these measures earned suspicion from onlookers, however, because whenever Eulalie was in public, she made sure that she looked happy and satisfied with her lot. She forced herself not to wince whenever her mother-in-law wrenched her child away from her, and she made like she was pleased that her royal duties were taken away from her. "More time for me to continue my planning!" She would exclaim with glee each time the elder Violet greedily assumed more and more power. While she still chose to sleep alone, she became increasingly flirtier with her husband, which seemed to please him. 

     And they all believed her.

     "Your Highness, where would you like the white rose bouquets?" A servant asked as she entered Eulalie's chamber. She spent most of her days fielding questions like these pertaining to the ball.

     "I'd like for those to go on the tables throughout the ballroom," Eulalie said. The servant responded with a nod and a curtsy. 

     Shortly after she left, another knock sounded at Eulalie's door, followed by Alaric entering the room.

     "Hello husband," Eulalie greeted him. The maids and seamstresses around her all bowed in respect.

     "Could you leave us, please?" He asked of them, and in an instant, the room was cleared. 

     "Is everything alright?" She asked curiously. She was standing in front of her tri-fold mirror on a platform the seamstress had brought in. Even with the platform in place, he still towered behind her.

    "Do I have to have a reason to drop in and see my darling wife?" He placed tender kisses on the back of her neck that caused goosebumps to break out over her skin. 

     She giggled coyly as he continued. In all of her planning, in all the moments she fortified herself against her surroundings, against him, moments like these were always the ones that brought her to her knees. One part of her wanted to succumb to his kisses and let him take her on the bed beside them. Another part wanted to run away from him or yell. "I suppose not," was all she said.

     "Are you nearly ready, my dear? The guests will be arriving soon." She turned to look at him and saw he was in his finest garb. A blue double-breasted jacket clung snugly to the muscles that rippled in his arms, with gold embroidery lining the quilted piece that seemed to make his eyes shine.

      "Just about. You look wonderful, my dearest," she told him, fluttering her lashes for emphasis. "Would you help me with my necklace?"

     She gestured to a gold necklace with starry diamonds that rested on her vanity table. The piece was lightweight but priceless, which was perfect. She had slowly been accumulating similar pieces that would be easy to sell whenever she made her escape from the palace.