I take a step forward and smile to myself. “She compelled people to forget all about her unless she’s talking to them herself. Clever.” I say with a nod.

“How long have we known each other?” Elena asks, trying to get some answers.

“It’s…been a while. I can’t remember.”

“Where do I live?” Elena asks. “Where do I work?”

“I don’t know.” The girl answers honestly.

“Who do I spend time with? Do I have any friends?” Elena continues to question her.

“Well, you said we could all be friends with you, as long as we kept your secret.”

“What secret?” Elena asks with a frown.

“I…I don’t know.”

DAMON’S POV

Stefan pulls his car over to the side of the road and I get out, practically running to my car. Thank god I found it. Stefan comes up behind me with a tank of gasoline as I examine my car.

“If they so much as even scatched the paint on my car…” I start.

“Well, just be grateful Sheriff Forbes was able to track down the car after you let them, well, you know…steal it from you.” Stefan says with a shrug.

“Remind me to send her some muffins. Do we really need ten gallons of gas?” I ask as he shoves the containers into my hands.

“Well, they ditched your car after it ran out of fuel. You gotta fill it up. Got a hundred miles before we get to Willoughby.”

“Yeah, well I don’t remember that name from the list of places I got from New York.” I point out.

“Oh, the list?” Stefan asks with a smile. "The list that Ashley stole right out from under your nose, after you let your guard down? They’ll be there. Sheriff Forbes tracked down the car they stole after yours.”

“Screw the muffins. I’ll get her champagne…if Ashley is wherever it may be.” I say, filling my gas tank.

“Willoughby.” Stefan repeats. “Creamed corn capital of Pennsylvania. They’ll be there. Let’s just hope we get to them before they get to the cure.”

“Oh, silver lining. If Rebekah takes the cure, then she’s mortal and we can just kill her right then and there.” I say optimistically.

“Oh, dark cloud. Elena stays a vampire forever.” He says, mocking me. “Look, why don’t you just table the revenge fantasies for now, and just keep your eye on the prize. Find Katherine, get the cure, get out before you get your neck snapped…again.”

“Believe me, I learned my lesson. Don’t keep things from vampire Ashley because she will find out and she will get me back.” I say with a small laugh.

“She’s a strong girl.” He says, nodding.

“Look at that. We’re finally on the same page about something.” I say before getting into my car.

ASHLEY’S POV

We walk into a post office and Elena approaches one of the workers at the counter.

“Hey, excuse me, um…do I have any mail today?” She asks, pretending to be Katherine and trying to figure out her address.

“What happened to you hair?” The guys asks and I tense up. Elena’s hair is straight and Katherine’s is usually curled.

“I straightened it.” Elena says rudely.