Wait A Minute.... | Bucky Barnes

Summary: You are going to the Smithsonian to see the new Captain America exhibit when you notice someone very familiar.
———————————————————

You were walking along the streets of Washington DC, heading to the Smithsonian.

People crowded along the sidewalks, heading in different directions so you tried your best not to run into anyone. Thankfully, you made it inside the museum without a mishap.

You were there to visit the Captain America Exhibit, of course. It had been all that you heard about for the last couple weeks so you had to check it out.

You wandered along the exhibit. The light from the electronic panels shone in your face as you read each one.

You had made it to the panel about Steve's best friend, James Buchanan Barnes, or better known as Bucky, when a man made his way beside you.

He had a hat tugged low over his face, blocking his eyes. His hands were stuffed into the pockets of his bulky jacket. You wondered if he was homeless it quickly shook the thought from your head, not wanting to be rude, even though he couldn't hear it.

You continued reading about this Bucky Barnes and saw his birthday was in March 10th, 1917.

"Hey, that's my mum's birthday!" You quietly said. The man next to you slightly jumped at your voice and turned to you.

"Your mum has that birthday?" He asked, his voice gruff.

"Oh, w- well not the same year, of course, but the same day," you stuttered. His rough voice intimidated you but you didn't want to offend him so you continued talking.

"Sorry for scaring you, sir."

He let out a chuckle and lifted his head up so you could see his face. He had a light smile plastered on his face and bright blue eyes. He held out his hand and you hesitantly grasped it, shaking it slowly.

"Your hands are cold."

You giggled.

"Yeah, I get that a lot. My name is Y/N by the way."

He paused for a second, his hand slipping from yours, before saying, "James."

"Nice to meet you, James," you said as you looked back to the display of Bucky Barnes.

"You know, I think this guy is pretty cool." You piped up as you read.

"You think so?" Asked James.

"Yeah. I mean he was part of the Howling Commandos, got captured, but then still continued leading people to destroy Hydra bases despite the terrible things that probably happened to him when he was with Hydra. I would've been terrified if I was him. He seemed pretty brave."

James let out a thoughtful hum. You turned to him looking thoughtfully at the display, his brown hair peeking out from under his hat, blue eyes trained on the picture of Bucky.

You noticed how similar the two looked, even though the person beside you looked a bit more, well, trashy, than the one in the photo, he was still quite handsome. You laughed.

"This may seem kind of weird but you kind of look like him."

His whole body seemed to tense and his face hardened as he turned to you.

"What?" He whispered.

"I- I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you-"

"You can't tell anyone," he whispered intensely.

"What-" Your eyes flicked from James to the photo and you gasped.

"Wait a minute-"

Bucky held up a finger to his mouth, shushing you. Your eyes widened, trying to take in the insane information.

"H-how?" You asked him. He fumbled with his hands and you noticed his left one had a glove on it.

He caught you staring and he took a few steps back, getting ready to run.

You quickly grabbed his wrist and stood your ground.

"Wait- please don't leave. I may be shocked but I'm not afraid of you."

He furrowed his brows at you.

"You're not? But I'm- I'm the Win-"

"That wasn't you. And even if you don't fully remember who you were before, that's alright. I can help you if you allow me."

"Help me?"

"Yeah, I bet you're probably very confused about how the world is now. Maybe I can even be your friend," you smiled at him and started walking towards the exit of the museum.

Bucky jogged to catch up with you and gave you a questioning glance.

"Where are you going?"

"To show you around silly goose. That is, if you want me to," you said as you glanced at him.

He let a small smile creep onto his lips.

"I would love that."