108 | raging war inside

Start from the beginning

Sparkly red ornaments are hanging from the ceiling and towards the windows they decided to be a little creative as they strung up snowflake ornaments and twinkling stars. Fake snow stained the glass towards the edges making it seem like winter frost is creeping on the surface. We're in early December and luckily it hasn't started snowing yet in New York. January and February, however is going to be a pain, since I won't be able to drive my motorcycle unless I switch the tires.

Besides, I stopped celebrating Christmas ever since Mom fell into a coma. Normally, I would leave the house when Marlene would want to spend some quality time with her kids and my dad. I would rather watch paint dry than be with them in the same room, which is why we would usually hang out at his place during the holidays playing videogames and ordering out. Taehyung's family, isn't particularly religious, so nobody minded when I would visit. Jimin on the other hand, spends time with his mom during the holiday which is something I envy, because I miss mine so goddamn much.

I watch Elena and Tae talk about small things while Jimin is acting like the social outcast, which is something that concerns me. He's never usually this quiet.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask him and he finally turns to me.

"Yeah, just tired."

"I thought you were busy this week."

"My History professor fell ill and couldn't attend the lecture, so I have time to spare. I think she has the flue or something," Jimin stretches his arms and smiles thinly. "Anyway, I missed hanging out with you guys."

I missed hanging out with them too. I look over my shoulder at Elena and Taehyung and smile to myself, because they're getting along as they cover a wide range of topics, starting from stupid holiday related things to binge worthy Netflix shows, their New Year resolutions, internship programs and how Elena wants to find a new job. At least the conversation is smooth and there is no awkward silence prevailing. Except that Jimin is sticking out like sore thumb. No one says anything about it but I think I should do something since we're going to spend the evening together.

"Seriously Jimin are you okay?" I turn to him. "You look drained."

"I'm fine Kook," he flashes me a half grin.

"What's up with you and Elena?" I ask lowly and his face darkens.

He snorts. "Where did that come from?"

"Dude, don't fuck with me. I know something happened because you're acting weird. Too weird even for you." A pale blonde waiter approaches our table with a tablet in his grip and his blue eyes brighten up when he sees Elena.

"So, the whole neighbourhood is back," he greets us with a kind smile. "I was starting to miss you guys. I thought that my cocktails were so bad that they scared you away. You should come more often. It's always a pleasure to see you around here."

"Aw, that's so sweet of you Eric." Elena moons. "Your cocktails are amazing, what are you saying?"

"Thanks, girl...so, how are things with you?" He asks her. "Or should I say, how are things with you?" Eric now looks at both of us.

I give him a sincere smile. "We're trying to overcome a hurdle, but we'll be okay." My hand slides on her lap and I caress it affectionately.

"I see," he says swiftly. "Whatever it is I hope you'll overcome it."

"Thanks, Eric." Elena beams and he looks up at the ceiling as if he forgot something.

"Where are my manners, I forgot to ask you guys your names. I mean, Elena and I go way back and I've seen quite a bit of you as well," He glances over at Taehyung. "Since, I'll be seeing more of you here, I'd like to know your names so that it's not awkward when you come in. Besides, you guys seem like a nice rambunctious group." His eyes now fall on Jimin and if I knew Eric a little better, I'd say that he's into him judging from the way he's shamelessly looking at him. "I haven't seen you here though."