2. Familiar Faces

V

V

The next morning, everyone woke up at dawn. This year, the tournament only lasted one day, so it started quite early. Remembering the advice of the Kami, Goku put on his cloak. However, he left the turban behind, considering it was too much. After a joyful breakfast at the hotel, unable to contain their excitement, they went together to the tournament area. There were a lot of people everywhere, and there were colorful fireworks at the entrance. Memories of their first Tenkaichi Budokai were brought to life in Goku, and he jokingly asked Muten Roshi if he had an outfit for them. As he suspected, the Master didn't have.

- What are you talking about? You are all now great martial artist in your own right, walking your separate paths! You don't have to keep wearing the Turtle School gear forever, you know - he replied in surprise - Now, go and fight hard!

- Yes, sir! - the warriors shouted back. They said goodbye and went to the hall, where the qualifiers for the final eight were to take place.

- Goku, what happened to your tail? - Yamcha asked as they changed into their outfits. Each of the Turtle School graduates predicted this and made himself a gi in red colors.

- Kami-sama took it off - Goku replied and added - I don't really get it, but he said something about wanting to put the moon back together and my tail was in the way somehow.

Goku remembered that day. Kami, after long hesitations, finally decided to use the Dragon Balls to restore the moon. Goku has not seen the silver globe in the sky since the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai. It was then that Jackie Chun treated him so brutally with his technique that the boy lost consciousness. When he awoke, he never saw the moon in the night sky again.

He wasn't surprised by the decision of Kami. On the contrary, he wondered why god had waited so long. It was clear the Earth needed a moon. But when Kami informed him that in order to do this he had to remove his tail, Goku didn't like it. The boy didn't understand why his tail was in the way of the moon or anyone else. He liked his tail, it made him feel special. Especially when everyone looked at him in amazement. But god made him realize that he always needed more time to see and understand some things. As with slapping people on the crotch, parading naked in public, and many other things. Now it is the same with his tail.

So, at the urging of the god, he gave up and underwent a treatment, after which his tail would no longer regrow. At first, Goku was very angry with the Kami for what he did to him. The procedure was very painful and immobilized him for several hours. However, as time passed, the boy, absorbed in training and excited about the inevitable fight, forgot everything. He accepted the fact that he did not have a tail and he stopped wondering what his tail had to do with the moon's return. Maybe he didn't understand it today, but maybe he would understand it in a few years.

Yamcha and Kuririn smiled, exchanging knowing looks, but Goku didn't notice. His attention was drawn to something else. Or rather someone. He felt a strong ki next to him and when he turned his eyes met the icy gaze of Piccolo Daimao's new incarnation.