13

I chose to sit with Luna on the way back. I got on as late as possible so everyone would have seats. I wasn't ready to explain why I looked the way I did.

I had lost weight and food was a bit hard to eat. I knew Harry and them would understand but there was a difference between telling them and them already knowing.

Luna took one look at me and didn't ask a single question. I pushed all the way down to the window and leaned against it, letting my head rest against the cold glass.

The white scene was gorgeous as it sped by us. It was pure and untouched and so perfectly cold. Winter was the best.

"Did you know you could die of loneliness?" Luna said abruptly.

I looked at her and pushed my head off the window. "Yeah?"

"It's one of the worst feelings in the world." Luna added. "I felt it when my mum died."

I nodded. "I feel it every day."

"We need a cure."

I scoffed. "That would be nice."

We didn't talk for the rest of the trip. Luna read her magazines upside down and I watched the trees and water and snow go by, wondering how to talk to my friends later. I couldn't avoid them like I did last semester but I couldn't quite tell them...

I was last to get off the train and I caught the last carriage. I skipped dinner and went straight to bed.

The next morning I was up before everyone else and walked the grounds to clear my head. I didn't go to class and I didn't go to any meals.

I got to the Dark Forest around noon and the thestrals were all glad to welcome me. I pet them despite my freezing fingers and enjoyed their happy head butts.

The sound of snow crunching made me turn around and I winced slightly as Harry walked up. He didn't look very happy.

"Happy new year." He said a little coolly.

"Happy new year." I nodded respectfully.

"Your aunt Bella paid me a visit during the holiday. Molly and Author are rebuilding their home as we speak." Harry said.

I let out a breath and closed my eyes, hanging my head.

Great. Something else to blame on me.

"They'll make it through. They're strong."

I wasn't expecting that. I looked at him and he walked closer.

"What did they do to you?" His voice was so low I barely heard it.

I wished I hadn't. My eyes watered without my say so and that was enough for Harry to change the subject.

"I got you something. I would've sent it Christmas day but after Bellatrix I didn't think it a good idea." He pulled out a box from his cloak and handed it to me.

I opened it slowly and smiled a little. It was a necklace with a C on it. Tackey and predictable but... cute.

"Thanks."

"Here." Harry took it out of the box and went behind me, wrapping the necklace around my neck. I moved my hair out of the way and let him clasp it at the back. "There. I remember the necklace you used to wear and it's similar."

"It was a gift from my dad. But this is much better." I replied.

His hands slid down my shoulders and I turned to face him, welcoming his warmth.

"I'm sorry for my aunt Harry. Only Voldemort can tell her what to do." I explained.

"I get it. If you knew about the attack you would have warned me." Harry replied, tucking his hands back in his pocket.