Road Trippin'

I could sense the shyness in his eyes as he smiled back at me. He took another drag on his cigarette. He exhaled out the smoke, asking me;
"Do you wanna get some fresh air? I think I've smoked this place up..."

I nodded and so we began making our way down the stairs. We'd stepped into the living room just as Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix started playing. I immediately got a warm feeling. That was the song that played when John and I first...
He immediately knew it too. We exchanged a meaningful glance. And at that moment it felt like we were the only two people in a full room. I guess with him, it always felt like that.

I'd never thought dancing to Hendrix was a thing, but surreally enough there were some couples in the room, just starting to dance to the song at a slow pace. Watching them made me feel peaceful.
I was just focused on them for a while before all of a sudden, I felt a warm sensation in my hand. John was leading me by the hand, taking me to the middle of the room.
I looked at him, surprised. I didn't know how to dance, but I guess I didn't have to know. We were just going with the flow. I rested my head on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat. His good heart.
The song ended and I slowly pulled away from him. He was still holding me in a warm embrace, just gazing at me. I looked deep into his eyes. They were dilated.
"Wanna go get that fresh air now?"

I was sure Ella and Anthony had been observing us in a corner somewhere, if not dancing to the song themselves. I didn't spot them anywhere though I tried to look around.

The air was crisp, but it was needed. John and I were walking in Chad's backyard. We didn't say anything for a long time, but I knew he wanted to talk. And so did I.
I could now see that Chad a large pool in his yard, something I hadn't noticed before. Next to it was a small building, I guess you could call it a pool house. We stopped to sit on a bench in front of it.
John took a deep breath. He was about to say something. I could feel my heartbeat accelerate. Honestly, I was afraid of what he was going to say. Tonight had been so good, but I didn't know if he felt the same way I did. All I knew was that I couldn't bear to lose him like that. Not again. It was cold, but I didn't mind. Not now.

He let out a deep sigh, touching my hand. "Eva... I wanted to tell you this before, but-"

A group of people showed up from around the corner. Their conversation was loud, of course.

John gestured to the pool house, suggesting we go there.

I pushed down the doorknob, pulling on it. The door wouldn't budge.

"Let me."
John tried opening the door with force. The veins in his hands and arms got highlighted as he finally managed to pull it open.

An unexpected sight awaited us as our eyes reached the room.
Anthony was standing up, naked. Strands of his long hair were glued to his forehead, presumably because of sweat. It was freezing outside so I really didn't understand how... Until I noticed that Ella was in front of him in a very odd position. They were connected at the waist, so to speak, Anthony holding her up with his hands on her sides. She was balancing on the ground with her hands; kind of like a handstand, only it was definitely not a handstand. She had her legs wrapped around him from behind.
Observing it felt very wrong, but it wasn't a choice. I was too shocked by the sight to comprehend it. Of course it didn't surprise me that they were having sex, they always were, but the situation was just very absurd. John was about to tell me something emotional and we walk in on this Native American wannabe with a lisp fucking my best friend in a wheelbarrow position.

John and I were just at a loss for words as we exchanged horrified glances. The worst thing is, I don't think they noticed us.

We stumbled out of the doorway, slamming the door shut behind us. We walked away with rapid steps.

"OK. Eva. What the fuck just happened?"
We both bursted out laughing.
"John, I don't think they noticed..."

A loud bang could be heard as the pool house door was opened and shut once again. We looked behind us to see a very bewildered couple about to catch up to us. I got deja-vu as John grabbed my hand, starting to run. It was a hilarious situation. We were being chased around Chad's backyard by Ella and Anthony, both of whom were only wearing underwear. They must've gone back inside after a short while because they weren't after us anymore.

"I think we lost them!" I stated with an out-of-breath chuckle.

He looked at me with an amused smile. His expression slowly became more serious as he concentrated his gaze on my lips.
He lifted up my chin as he leaned in.
He was getting closer.
His scent was getting closer.
I inhaled it.
We were so close now-

A mass of people suddenly rushing into the backyard. Commotion. Chaos.
"We're heading over there right now!"
"I knew we shouldn't have let him..."

John had a panicked look in his eyes as we both realized something was wrong. Anthony was walking up to us, looking equally panicked. He took a deep breath before telling us;
"It's Chad. He's been in an accident."