Everything Changes

Julian was leaning against Owen's desk, peeking over his shoulder at the report he was attempting to write about one of the recent autopsies. They had been watching the policewoman from an earlier crime scene on and off. She had been following them for quite a while and even turned up at the hospital where the others had tried to deal with a Weevil "I think you should put in the condition the body was in," she pointed out "You know... The..."

"Yeah, you're probably right," he nodded, adding several notes to the paper in front of him "What do you think about...?"

"No, that shouldn't be too important. Especially since it can be explained through..."

Owen nodded "True. I forgot about that."

Tosh looked up from her screen, once again fascinated with their exchange "How do you two know what the other is trying to say?"

"Practice," Julian shrugged "We've been around each other for ages and I think the better you get to know a person, the more you're able to predict what they're trying to say or do."

Owen snorted "Makes planning surprises for her a bitch."

Julian nudged his shoulder "You still try."

"Of course, I do," he exclaimed, pretending to be wounded "You're my sister."

Jack clapped his hands above them, breaking up the conversation before it could get out of hand "Everyone in position. She's on her way down." He glanced at Julian pointedly "Talking to you, Jules."

"Yeah, yeah," she grumbled, sliding off the desk to walk over to her own "I'm going." She had to finish her reports for UNIT anyway. Might as well do them while pretending they were all very serious.

Contrary to Owen, Tosh and Suzie, Julian was still a part of UNIT. She only started working with them after the events of Canary Wharf when Owen had decided to keep her close. UNIT had jumped at the idea to have inside information into the workings of Torchwood Three. Since Jack had taken over they had been a bit of a wildcard and both UNIT and Torchwood One had been trying to get a man inside to feed them information about the Captain and the things they dealt with. Not that Julian was telling UNIT a lot more than they wanted to know. They were aware that her brother was on the team and as such, they didn't expect her to hand over secrets. The whole thing was more of a permanent transfer anyway. The reports were just a formality.

Owen – or Adam as Julian usually called him in private was as good as her brother. When she first met him over nine hundred years ago, she had been slightly leery of him. She hadn't been sure what to think of him at first. Especially after she found out that he had the same... condition as her. This had been shortly after her first death and back then she had still been pretending to be a man. Her parents had wanted a boy and when she was born the fifth girl, he took his chance and told everyone that he had been blessed with a boy. It took her a good twenty years to gather the courage to reveal her true gender to Adam. There had been a couple of close calls during that time but either Adam had known beforehand or he had been oblivious of her hesitance to bathe around him.

The moment Julian started typing, her fingers faltered. The young woman from upstairs was walking through the cog door that Jack had opened earlier. Her steps were hesitant as she was clutching the pizza boxes to her chest. Julian glanced up from her monitor to watch the policewoman stumble past her.

"I can't do this," Owen cried out, throwing his hands up. Both he and Tosh had started giggling almost immediately "I'm sorry. I'm rubbish. I give up."

"He set me off," Tosh accused, pointing at Owen.

Julian snorted at them as she sat back in her chair, throwing a balled-up paper at her brother's head "You suck, Owen."