Chapter VII

I watched at the gold hands of the old wooden clock that has been passed down for generations in our family line. The sound of the old clock made time seem pass overwhelmingly slow and I impatiently started tapping my fingers in rhythm against the hard wooden surface. I tried to blow off the thin layer of dust that settled on its face in frustration, watching as the speck of dust flew across my face. Ivory numerals turned yellowish over time but this handcrafted piece was still a magnificent work of art. I wondered if anyone ever felt so agitated by this little piece of wood as much as I did at the moment. Finally, I heard a loud cough that signalised that it was alright for me to come in.

I had to wait all night, and not having one bit of sleep made me feel exhausted and on the verge on breaking the door and forcing my way to the study room. I was too excited too see what William had to pick up from his home, the thing that would make my demand possible. When I tried to ask him about it yesterday, he decided to feed my curiosity by mischievously smiling and simply saying that' I would see it tomorrow.'

Not only that, but I had to wait for him to explain everything to my father, of course in private, because father didn't want me constantly interrupting their conversation.

„Good afternoon, sir.“, I greeted.

William observed me for a moment with a warm look in his eyes, followed by a gentle smile. „It is good indeed. I believe you were quite anxious to enter, if I may notice.“

I guess my sighing and tapping on the door was quite noticeable. I lowered my gaze in embarrassment.

„Have you finished with your discussion?“, I asked curiously glancing at my father's expression. He seemed content, but for some reason there was a trace of worry in his eyes when he looked at me.

I made my way to the oak desk and comfortably slid into the comfy chair.

“Before we start, do me a favor and explain why do you even feel the need to demand such a thing? For what reason do you wish to speak to him?“, father looked at me straight in the eyes, visibly intrigued.

I sheepishly smiled at first, but he continued to sternly stare at me with his dark eyes, patiently waiting for me to explain.

„I am your daughter, so I already assume you know why.“, I said truthfully. „You know that I'm a person with strong beliefs, the same beliefs you imposed on me. It was hard for me to accept this, for the same reason I just mentioned. You taught me to always live fair and if I had to do something, it shouldn't be based on someone's misfortune.„

„But you already agreed to this.“

„Indeed, but that does not mean I think it is the right thing to do“, I sadly smiled, my words this time directed towards William.

„It still feels unfair. But, however selfish this might sound, I...“, my voice broke in the middle of the sentence because of lack of air, making it seem like it was caused by a sudden emotion. „I want to live.“

They both starred at me wide eyed at first, but father's eyes fell suddenly when he heard what I said.

„Of course.“

„I want to speak to the person who's life I am about to ruin.“

Father gasped and suddenly grabbed his head, murmuring something I couldn't quite hear and William just nodded back at him in agreement then turned to me. With his eyes full of emotion he starred at me for a while, sadness creeping on his face, and for a moment I could tell he was fighting with something. Then he put on his usual understanding smile and said, „I think that's quite an answer. Very well, you two shall meet.“