19) A mutual understanding

Start from the beginning

"We know you love her," Fred continued after he noticed the frown on Draco's face and he prepared himself for an outburst but he was only met with the slump of the Slytherin's boy shoulders, Draco was done with fighting and being angry today, he was drained.
"We love her too, you know. So much. We know you don't like us, see us as blood-traitors and perhaps we are.. But we would never hurt El.. Or make her feel unloved. You should know that, we— I want you to know that."

Draco's pale grey eyes met Fred's warm brown ones and he scanned them, hoping to find something that would indicate he was lying, that this was all a big fat joke. But he couldn't find anything.
He saw the love for his best friend radiating from his orbs, the slight blush on his cheek when he spoke of her and above all; the honesty. Eleanor would be safe with them, she would have all the happiness in the world. She wouldn't have the worry for a day in her life and Draco knew he couldn't give her the same, even though he tried so hard.

"I know. Doesn't mean I'm letting her go," Draco sternly said  and he meant it. Eleanor couldn't be his lover but he certainly wanted to keep her as his best friend as she was one of the only ones who truly knew him.

"I'm not asking you to. I don't want you to. Eleanor needs you as much as you need her. I can see how happy she is when she's with you, Draco. I hate to admit it but she even told me a few hours ago that she cares about you so deeply. I would never jeopardize your friendship."

And Draco realized that Fred hadn't called him 'Malfoy'  the whole time they had this conversation, he felt a little more human when someone called him by his first name as he always associated his last name with his father and his father wasn't a great man.

"Thank you, Fred."

Not many more words were exchanged between the two boys but Draco did ask him if he could keep guard over Eleanor as well and he quickly agreed. Fred was also done of fighting with the white haired boy, it would make Eleanor happy for sure.

Draco softly knocked on the door where Eleanor and George were in, he silently scanned over the two, Eleanor in a soft and big bed, with George lounging in a chair absentmindedly stroking her hand with his thumb.

"I'm here to take over. You can go and sleep, you look knackered," Draco couldn't quite help it but it seemed like the venom in his voice was still there and he directed it at the other ginger boy who looked at him in surprise.

"That's alright," George said and made himself comfy again, not planning on moving.

Draco rubbed between his eyebrows with two fingers and sighed softly, suppressing his anger.

"Look, George. Please, allow me to have a moment with my best friend— who by the way, almost died in my arms tonight. Give me that moment."

Without saying George stood up and he seemed to understand, looking a bit embarrassed that he denied the two friends to spend time together. He knew that there was no reason to be jealous, he had discussed that with Fred.
He turned around and looked back at the two, Draco had taken his spot in the chair and was gazing at the girl who slightly resembled a mummy with how much bandages were on her body, he had laughed about that if it hadn't been Eleanor.

"Thank you, Malfoy. You know, for saving her and bringing her to us. You're.. A great friend," George didn't wait for Draco to reply and he simply slipped the door shut, his back leaning against it and he had to take a moment to gather his heart beat back to normal.