Chapter 52: America's Most Wanted

I sat in the front seat of my father's car and watched him beat his band against the steering wheel. He was humming along to some song called Twist and Shout by The Beatles. It used to be one of my favorite songs, but not anymore. 

We drove about a half hour away from the house and back into town next to where my aunt Denise used to live. Because we were here, I had hope that my father would let me visit my mother, but I wasn't sure where her parents lived anymore.

"Are we almost there?" I said when the song went off.

"Yes," he smiled.

I remained silent after that, holding back any more questions I had. You see, I hated speaking to my father. He would somehow always try and start a conversation with me. He spoke with me as if I was his best buddy. He talked to me about books, education, animals, people, and almost anything and everything. I will admit because I was so alone at home, I would reply back to him. I know I shouldn't be talking to him at all, but it's different when you're all alone and have no one. It's different when your dad is a murderer. Sometimes I would tell myself if I get on his good side, maybe, just maybe he would let me go.

He turned the car and started up a mountain. I was very, very familiar with this place. I shook my head. "No," I said. "I don't want to go back!"

"Shush now," he demanded. "I think you and Ryan need proper closure. He did take the blame for you."

"It was his fault!" I said. "You and Abby tricked him."

My dad chuckled. "He was willing to join us. Abby didn't even have to force him. He wanted his step-father dead and he wanted the power the book would offer him. No, not everyone is born evil, but trust me, Violet. We as human store a little bit of evil with us everywhere we go. The soul feeds on it."

I thought about what he said, then I thought about myself. What evil have I ever stored in my soul? I couldn't really find the answer to that. I remember one time my mom grounded me because I failed a math class with my teacher and that was the same day of a parade. She said I couldn't go and I remember mumbling to myself that I hated her. However, I didn't want her dead or anything. I was just angry.

My dad pulled up to the police station. There were a lot of cars outside and a few guards standing around conversating with each other. By the look on their faces, I could tell that they were stressed about something. I got out of the car, not because I wanted to see Ryan, but I knew something was wrong. Why else would my father bring me here? Part of me wondered if Ryan was dead, but considering how he was basically a part of them, I didn't believe that was the case.

"Good evening officers!" My father waved towards two individuals that were approaching us. I stopped walking and so did my father when they shifted their belts as if they were ready to attack us wit a weapon. "What's the problem?" He asked one of them.

"Why are you here? Is this for visitation?" A female officer asked.

"Yes," my father replied.

"For?"

"Ryan."

"The young boy? You must be Mr. Harmon," she looked at me. "And you're Violet. I remember you two."

"Is Ryan okay?" I asked eagerly. 

The officer sort of lost eye contact with the both of us. She looked at the ground. "Ryan apparently escaped last week. We don't know how, but he's gone and we have forty inmates dead. Witnesses all say it was Ryan. This happened at a prison for young adults. Ryan is now on the America's Most Wanted List."

"Hmm, I see. Why haven't we been contacted about this?" My father asked. 

"The court didn't see why you should be involved. We have him on tape breaking out of his cell by himself. We just don't know how the other's died. Some say it happened at night and that one second a person was standing, next second he was a bloody mess on the ground. We have no idea what could have been the cause."

I stared at the ground and shook my head, then headed back towards the car. My father thanked the officers for the information and followed behind me. When we got in the car, I turned my head towards the window.

"Like I said," my father started up the car. "There is evil in all of us."

I could never believe that this was the Ryan I knew. I wanted to yell at my father and say that it was his fault. Somehow, I believed Abby was involved in this. The Ryan I knew would never do this. This was something beyond Ryan's control.

***

My father ended up buying me an ice cream cake for my birthday celebrations. We took it home. When we entered the house, I saw Abby standing by the staircase with her arms out. "It's time to party!" She yelled, then ran towards me for a hug.

As much as I wanted to beat her face in, I controlled myself. I didn't hug her back. Instead, I let her hug me. I even forced a smile for her. "Glad to see you made it."

She laughed. "I really came for the cake," she winked.

"Come on," my father said taking the cake into the kitchen. "Let's dig in!"

I followed the both of them into the kitchen. My father cut a piece for the both of us and we all sat at the table, each one of us a chair away from each other. My father and Abby talked for almost an hour. I listened to their conversation. I watched how they laughed, how they ate, how they moved, how they talked, and how they joked. I believed if I wanted to get out of here alive and back to my mother, I would have to get on their good side.

However, I didn't want to sacrifice my life to get on their good side. If they were under a book's control, was there something that could trigger them out of this curse or whatever it was? I needed some advice. Someone who knew about evil, magic, power, and what else lived amongst us.

"Hey dad," I smiled. "Can Abby and I go to the library tomorrow? I'm almost out of books."

My dad sat down his fork and looked at me suspiciously. Abby did the same. 

"What?" I asked as they stared at me.

"You want to go out with me?" Abby asked with a smirk on her face. "What are you up to?"

"I don't have anything else to do. I really want more books. Also, me and Abby haven't hung out properly in a while," I smiled at her. "We really should hand out more. I'm serious."

My father took a sip of his cranberry juice. "That sounds like a great idea."

"Whatever," Abby shrugged.

From this day, I would have to play my cards carefully. If I wanted to get back to my mom or possibly even help my father, I'd have to get as much information as I could about this. Hopefully, the library would store the answers...