Chapter 23: Murder

Abby was having some problems at school with two girls from her class. They bothered her and called her names. Names like sugar daddy lover and perv pants. Mr. Harmon had been picking her up from school the last few weeks and people took notice that Abby's parents had not been picking her up from the school like before. Middle school could be so cruel, but Abby was crueler. She would take care of those girls soon.

***

Abby stood before both her victims, her insides quivering, but her face set hard. She had cried her tears and suffered her wounds. Her task to simply use her power to kill the two girls didn't work out the way she planned.

The playground was dark, empty, and scary. Fog hovered above the frosty, cold grass. The smell of rain lingered around Abby. The air was freezing cold that night, but Abby didn't mind it at all. She finally gave in and vomited on the ground. "Dad!" she yelled through tears. "My powers aren't working!"

Suddenly, Mr. Harmon appeared in front of her. He glanced at the bodies then back at her. "You're showing too much emotion, Abby. You have to be stronger than that-"

"I don't know if I can kill another person!" she cried out. "They fought me, they punched me. I had to kill them on my own. Why didn't you help me? You should have known that I was in trouble."

Mr. Harmon grabbed her roughly by her face with both hands. He stared hard into Abby's eyes. He dug his fingernails deep into her skin. "You remember Rosemary, right? Remember when you broke her ribs, gouged out her eye and spat in the empty socket. Remember those two couples and their baby. What did you do to that baby?" He slapped her face. "You don't think about it! You just do it! You fear nothing!" His eyes turned pitch black for a second before changing back to normal. "Your soul, your body, your life belongs to that book. That's our main priority. We do not feel pity for those we kill. Remember we are doing good deeds. We're the good guys!"

Abby nodded slightly. "But can we take their lives in another way?" She removed his hands from her face. "Killing isn't working out too well for me, Dad." She shrugged. "I don't want it to trigger me again."

Mr. Harmon nodded. "Don't worry, you'll get stronger. And you're right; it's too mainstream,"

"We should kill them the traditional way that's described in the book," she said. "That's where I learned Murder from."

"The game you played with Emily?" he asked her.

She nodded. "Yes. The book doesn't take the souls unless the soul says, "I sacrifice," but there's an exception. If they play the traditional game of Murder, the book will take the souls we brought into the game, but spare two, which is the winner."

"And what are the rules?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You gather people to play. Everyone gets a blank card but only one says, Murderer. The murderer tries to kill the others. Whoever dies during this traditional game will have their souls taken by the book. The two people left standing will be spared," she said. "There are rules, and if any are broken, their souls will be taken. No talking and no cheating."

Mr. Harmon smiled deviously. "That sounds wonderful!"

"Emily loves games that involve hiding, and Violet does too. Let's-"

"I'm not going to kill Violet, I want her to join me," he said. "I want my family to join me in our vast eternity of power. Give them time. Good always comes to those who wait."