Six// Hovering:

Word Count: 2 788

CHAPTER SIX:

I'm in my room again

I'm in my room again. I find myself here a lot newly. Without school and not really having an assigned occupation in my current Kru, it's been difficult to want to be anywhere else lately. TV isn't so good for me right now since practically every channel can't seem to do anything other than boast about the Ring Ceremony in less than two weeks or how shocked they are that there's so many Pukkas that got discovered this time round.

As if that weren't enough, things have been a little tense around the house with my mother and I. I know she wants to pretend that she isn't bothered by the fact that I'm leaving, but she's failing miserably and I haven't been fairing too well in my attempt to keep myself sane what with all that's going on.

Not having any friends to take my mind off of it sucks too and with the new hope of me being able to actually socialize meaningfully with my peers from now on, I worry that I may not find anyone to connect with after all these years of never trying. But this time round feels different. It doesn't only feel like I'm in my room for the last night of my life (according to Ian) but it feels like I'm shedding a layer of skin that's been too tight on my body and now I'm just a weird, unidentifiable, skinless, meaty sack of cells.

Do you know what it feels like to be burger meat?

"You've been thinking a lot lately," my room breaks into the space as I prepare myself to head out into the night sky.

"Yup."

"Have you decided on my na-"

"I'll agree to call you Aspen on one condition," I cut in already knowing what's next.

Who knew something quite obviously non-living could have such an obsession with being named.

"Of course Suki," it responds curtly and a small silence ensues as it awaits my input.

"If you promise-" I begin, but it stops me mid-sentence.

"I'm not capable of making promises; it's not in my programming. I am not human."

"Well it seems the two of us will be doing a lot of things we originally thought ourselves in capable of," I respond, referring to the fact that I'm considering giving a wall my sister's name.

I don't know why this request is so important to me, but I guess I just need one thing to stay the same for me over the course of the next few weeks in which a lot is going to change. Heck I'm even going to be changing on a cellular level.

"Just promise me that you'll never leave me," the words depart from my lips burdened with the knowledge that my wish won't come true.

I'm leaving soon and this wall can't come with me. That's also the one promise the real Aspen could never keep for me.