Chapter 10

A day had past, and in those hours, Ratchet had worked tirelessly on the ground bridge. He was close to completing it, and all of us were eager to get back out in the field.

Optimus had tried on the jetpack Ratchet had said they had found for him, and had been training with it for hours on end. It would provide us with an edge, which we would need if we were to take the Decepticons by surprise once we revealed ourselves again.

"Where are you off to?"

I looked up, my eyes finding Swoop's.

"Training with Wheeljack," I said. "I want to work with my staff and learn how to fight with it properly."

"Ah."

"How are you doing?" I asked.

Swoop looked better, all of his cuts gone. His limp was still prominent, and we all knew that was a scar that would probably never heal.

"Really good, but being cooped up here is killing me. I can't even go on the roof anymore and get some fresh air."

"I mean, you could stand outside the door," I said. "But... it's not the same," I realized. Swoop nodded his head. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, go for it," Swoop said, walking with me now as I went to join Wheeljack in our new training room.

"On the day of the attack, you said that you spotted the predacons on the horizon. Ratchet asked if you had been flying, and said you weren't. Honest answer—I promise I won't tell anyone—were you?"

Swoop gave me a sheepish smile. "Yes, I was. But before you go shaming me or telling me about reopening my wounds and not letting my body heal; I knew my limits, and stayed within them. I didn't push myself, I just needed some room to breathe and get out of the base."

"I wasn't going to scold you," I assured him. "Honestly, I would have done the same thing. Heck, I have tried to do the same thing, multiple times. I'm just not as sneaky as you."

Swoop laughed, his face lighting up. He then winced and clutched his chest.

"Sorry," I apologized, stepping closer to him as I looked for someway to relieve his pain.

"It's all good," he assured me, raising a hand. "Guess I'm not as healed as I thought I was."

"How'd you spot the predacons?" I asked after Swoop rightened himself. We continued walking again, slower this time.

"I was above them, playing in the wind. I spotted them and instantly made a beeline home. I made sure I wasn't followed, but deep down, I already knew their destination. I called right away."

"You know, I'm surprised Ratchet hasn't caught onto it yet," I said. "He's normally pretty observant about this kind of thing."

"Guess I'm just that good," Swoop winked, grinning. "Well, I won't keep you any longer." We stopped at the room's entrance. "Have fun, and don't die."

I rolled my eyes and entered the training room, waving Swoop a farewell.

"Took you long enough." Was that first thing Wheeljack said to me as I entered. His swords were out, and I noticed that he had been practicing with them prior.

"Sorry, was talking to Swoop," I apologized, placing my water bottle to the side of the room before meeting Wheeljack in the center.

"Let's not waste anymore time, shall we?"

I summoned my staff, using the same movements and technique that Alpha Trion had taught me the night before. I held it the way the prime had showed me and stood the same way. Wheeljack noted this.