Snack time

"I'm telling you Jay, you're making a mistake! This is the best ice cream north of the river and you're choosing to not partake" Lauren shook her head in mock disappointment and disbelief as she turned back to the counter asking the man behind it for a scoop in a cone. "I also didn't mean to rhyme. I guess I'm a poet and I didn't even know it."

Joey chuckled glancing down at the girl staring at the flavor sign, a wave of strained concentration across her face, as it dawned on him she was without glasses. He began to casually rattle off the flavors as if it was a normal occurrence to just read signs you see out loud. She smiled up at him gratefully, super appreciative that she didn't have to ask, that he just knew. She went with fudge brownie, the best sounding dairy-free flavor they had.

Lauren reached for Joey's hand to move him down the line. It took about a minute for him to fully process their entire interaction since entering the shop before he froze, staring at her with a very confused look. She dropped their hands and looked forward but she knew she couldn't stop the blush that was forming up her neck across her cheeks and even the tips of her ears felt warm in this very cold ice cream parlor.

It wasn't as if they weren't both physically affectionate people but for some reason the was a palpable shift in their hand hold this time and she knew it. Joey's face changed to reflect his disappointment before he gently grabbed her hand holding it tightly. Lauren looked back at him almost shocked but making no move to let go as his face began to form back into confusion and he opened his mouth.

"What kind of a phrase is north of the river? What river? There is not a chance you know enough about Ohio landscaping to claim we are currently north of any rivers." Lauren felt the tension in her shoulders dissipate and shake and she started to laugh.

"Excuse me sir but it's a great phrase! It makes me sound both worldly and sophisticated!" Joey laughed back grabbing the now prepared ice cream cone for her from over the counter. "Thank you Jojo but I can reach it you know." She stroked the back of his interlocked hand with her thumb, still recovering from her outburst. Joey handed off the cone to her other free hand and the two strolled out of the store.

There was a nearby bench, their hands still woven together on the wood between them as Lauren attempted to furiously stop the ice cream from dripping everywhere.

"Mmmmmy god Jay it's like heavenly" she moaned at her ice cream leaning down to lick it once more. "I can't eat the cone obviously, I just got one because they are the same price and way more fun so you are welcome to it if you want." Lauren stated, eyes on him but still attacking the cone in her grasp.

"Okay I'll take you up on that action" Joey began "but also I'm stealing a taste right now."

Lauren rolled her eyes "I'm not even gonna say I told you so because it's basically implied but also go for it." She held the cone out to him.

He contemplated the best vantage point of attack. She saw him make up his mind only milliseconds before he moved in. He kissed her sweetly and quickly.

"Oh woah Lo you're totally right. That's super great ice cream thank you so much!" He licked his lips in a comical way and smiled wide at her as their eyes met and hers were wide but thankfully not angry.

She came back at him fiercely, her hand left his and met his jaw. His wrapped around her waist whilst tugging her closer. Joey let out a breathy sigh and Lauren pulled away moving her hand to his forearm.

"Okay Joey that was cute but now my hand is covered in ice cream" Lauren pouted and went back to her ice cream to try and finish what she could salvage. Joey in an attempt to be sweet offered to lick the ice cream off of her only to immediately regret every word when he realized how both gross and unromantic that sounded.

Lauren who was now holding an empty cone and with a sticky hand, doubled over as she clutched his thigh for support. "Joey Richter you never fail to make me laugh." She said calming down as she slid her hand onto his chest. "But for real this is nasty I'm going to wash my hand this second." She leaned over giving him a peck and handing off the cone for him to eat as she had promised. As Lauren walked away, Joey crunched the cone thinking about the next time Lauren might ask him to taste something of hers.

A/N: Here's a cute lil guy for ya! As always expect no editing!! I wrote this in roughly 9 minutes based on a comic I saw on Instagram! Yay!!