Janice

AN: Hi okay so inspiration and motivation are two things I'm not exactly rolling in right now. Be it the state of the world, or just generally being stuck home but I'm creatively struggling at the moment both here and in Speak Now (my other richpez book). If I do have creative lightbulb its more likely to get poured into speak now anyway. I'm not going anywhere but rollout of chapters might be a little bit slower so just a heads up. Anyway I wrote this short lil guy a while back for some friends but it's kinda cute so I figured I'd throw it in here. Without further ado, Janice.

Cold. Janice bundled up tighter in her coat and attempted to pull down her hat. She glanced around at her sleeping friends thankful that she was given the coat she was as opposed to some of her friends who weren't so lucky. The metal below her talons made her shiver.

Dark. Janice wanted to blink but she was not made with any fabric for eyelids. Never the matter, Janice looked around the dimly lit aisle. Her friends were all sleeping shivering slightly and nestled up together.

Confused. Janice poked her head out, beak first, to gain awareness of her surroundings. It seemed festive and themed all around her. She gave a wave to the elf on the shelf across the way.

Impatient. Janice sat waiting for her family to come and get her. She did a handstand, chirped a song, and even taught herself how to read her price on the shelf. $5.00. She hoped whoever was coming to get her knew her price before they got there so she could just go straight home.

Disappointed. Janice watched people mosey by picking up her friends in cool goggles and fun scarfs. She tried to make herself look as beautiful and presentable as she could fluffing her jacket once again. She stood as close to the edge as she could get praying to be pretty enough to catch the eye of a family she could call her own.

Moving. After what seemed like ages, a woman lifted Janice off the shelf, smiling at her before putting her in the cart. Janice slid over to a hole and peered out getting a grand tour of the undiscovered areas of Target that Janice has never seen. They stopped in a few places and the cart began to fill and though Janice had begun to feel a little cramped she knew it would all be worth it. She slid across the barcode reader, cool glass along her cotton, and was placed in a bag. She rested among the dog treats and a sweater that had accompanied her in the bag and contently waited to go.

Home. Her mom pulled her up and set her down on the counter. Janice hadn't noticed earlier but some of her friends had made it to her new home with her. Her mother was baking something, laughing a ton as her father lifted Janice in front of a phone, shaking her slightly. He finally put her back down and she settled in her spot on the counter knowing this holiday was going to be incredible now that she had found her forever home.