<Chapter 28>

<Betty's POV>
I sat in front of the window, looking out at the calm grass, the cattle grazing, the soft music in the back of this room.

My body was swaddled in clothing and my bandages were dressed. Cold tea sat besides me on a little table, and a box of tissues. It was brisk in this room and it was medium sized. I only had a bed and somewhere to put my clothes. The carpet was a boring green and the other colors of this room muddled together.

I heard the door opening slowly. The form of a knock here. I knew it would hurt too much to turn my neck so I waited for whoever it was to approach me. "Miss Simple, Munae is here," she told me. I looked at the nurse's reflection in the mirror. She was Hispanic and she had short, pretty hair. A nice curvy body that her nurse's clothes fit too well for one's eyes to not be delighted.

"Okay," I answered hoarsely.

"I'm going home early, but if you need anything, the other nurse is going to be here in an hour." She left and I turned back to my reflection. My cheek was scarred with burn marks, in a small circle. I like to say it's shaped like a heart. It was only as long as a pinky finger of a child, but it meant a lot to me. The rest of me was bruised and hurt. This symbolized how close I had been to death.

I heard the open slowly again not too long after the nurse was gone. "How're you feelin?"

"Sore, but better," I answered.

Would my voice ever returned, would the smell of thick smoke every escape the memory of my nostrils? My nose ran all the time and I couldn't sleep without waking up hot and sweaty. I was in the fire all over again. Was this a sign that I would have gone to Hell?

Do I still have time to turn my life around.

"You conflict me, Munae," I said before she could began talking again. "You admit your love for me then you say you cannot love me. Over and over again. What have I done, do I deserve this punishment?" I turned my head, the pain radiating from my neck acknowledging the crook in it. "Was i you in another life or something? Why am I always punished?"

"I'm talking to my therapist now, she's helping me learn more about my feelings towards you..." her tone died out seeing my cheek. This was her first time visiting me. It had been a week, they told me. She turned her eyes away and focused on something else. "You're not hot?" she asked, gesturing to my clothing.

I realized she had roses in her other hand wrapped like a bouquet. "I'm only hot at night," I said quietly. I looked back at my reflection, "I see you made it out fine."

"I'm going to college now," she skipped over my words. "And...I'm sure Mom would be proud of me."

"You were always selfish, weren't you?" I asked, now ignoring her words too. She turned quiet and fiddled with the roses. "These are for you." Three rose petals gently fell into my lap as she handed them to me. I couldn't tell if their weight was too much for me to even bear.

"Thank you," I said stiffly. "What about your dad? I never found him," I said coldly.

"He was charged for the murder of Murriz, DaToya, his family, and a few others."

"How convenient," I said boredly.

I reached up to touch my cheek, then pulled away. I knew I would never be able to get the feel of that skin away from me. "If you can't touch it, let me touch it," she said softly. She turned my face to her, and my head felt like it was in paradise. She brushed my cheek softly and smiled with hope in her eyes. "It will probably heal well, it's only a scar to the skin. The way it looks...I assumed it would fall off by touch."

"What if I don't want it to go away?" I asked her, staring into her soulless eyes.

"I'm always by your side, Betty," she assured me. I sighed and reached my hand up. It did feel normal. "Have you moved on like I told you?"

"I- I've tried," she said softly. She knelt down besides me, like I once had. I turned away and stared back at my reflection. Was I the selfish one now?

"I met this girl. Her name's Perry. She has a sister named Ashhleyy. They throw a lot of parties. We met at a fast food place. I've helped them out with themes and drinks and they've paid me in amazing sister sex. But it's not gross because they're only legally sisters," Munae chuckled. Her laugh seemed broken. "But I only thought about you."

"Maybe a foursome would be the best for you, I know this girl named Avery. She can get the job done."

"That's not what I want, Betty," she looked up at me.

"I didn't want any of this. None of this. I just wanted a job. A little cash. A comfy life for my mother. To spend time with my best friend and watch each of us grow older together. To get both of us on the right track for life."

I looked down on her. "You took me off course."

She had nothing left she could say. She had said it all. "What do you want from me now?" she asked whispered. "I only wanted you to love me." I looked away. I saw someone reigning the cattle in. It was nearly milking time. "You used me, and I didn't even...you didn't even ask me what I thought of you. If I loved you. If I wanted to be apart any of this. You just use me and give me nice things." Like a cow. "I just want your love, Munae."

"You have my love. I just need time."

We stared at each other.

"It's not my fault I'm broke but I'm trying to be better now."

"Are you really trying? Because you've made me feel like a fool. And now we both have no one," I told her.

"I am," she said with a strong look on her face.

"I believe you," I whispered.

She stood up and kissed me softly on the lips. It wasn't amazing to taste another girl on them, but I knew eventually...that it would be me. "I trust you," I told her again.

"I know."