Motions (Chapter 24)

Giddean:

Chaos erupts.

Senators are yelling over each other, at each other, so much so that I can't make out who is saying what and who is on my side. Old Senator Weeze sends a paper ball flying to the other side of the room.

The Majority Leader shakes his head as he takes his place behind the podium and surveys the room. He is hazel eyes then turns and points his fat finger at me, "I thought you were going to talk about funding misappropriation or some shit. You should have run this by me first"

I say nothing in my defense. Yeah, technically I should've run it by him, but he would have squashed it. Not because he's a bad guy- he isn't- but because he cares about his party and his majority, and he knows this shit is bad for both.

"Well, now I have to clean up your shit. We will be talking after this is over Hertliz"

The Majority Leader then raises his hands and faces the crowd, "Gentlemen! Gentlemen! This is not how we handle debates in this chamber!"

The Senators calm down a bit, with only a few side jabs here and there. As is traditional in the chamber, the men who wish to speak remain standing while a few sit.

"Alright, Senator Barbin" The Majority Leader points to Kin, probably assuming that as my best friend is part of the strategy. Those not called upon sit down.

"Majority Leader, honorable colleagues, these are shocking descriptions of abuse by the priesthood. I support a full investigation into the matter as suggested by the honorable senator. We must get to the bottom of any abuses and root them out" Kin sits. It's not the most eloquent statement, but his support is clear. I smile at Kin.

Several senators stand again. The majority Leader points to a gray-haired man sitting in the opposition section of the chamber, "Senator Alpia"

"Majority Leader, honorable colleagues...." The older begins "I am...." The man is so quiet I can't make out what he is trying to say. I see several senators lean towards him unconsciously trying to hear him better.

"Speak up, Senator" The Majority Leader calls out.

A pinch of confusion passes over Alpia's face before he continues, his voice again starting out strong before quickly growing quiet "The priests are...."

I hear the Majority Leader curse under his breath.

When Alpia sits, only a few Senators stand. The Majority Leader points to Jarish. A party man, a new party man, but still. At worst he can say something only mildly approving. The Majority Leader knows his shit- making it seem like he is listening to opposition for show while really calling upon those who for whatever reason will support me or only weakly disapprove.

"Majority Leader, honorable colleagues" Jarish's weasel face scrunches up like he trying to decide what to do "The honorable Senator has brought this forth in the topic in an inappropriate setting. I move that we strike it from the record"

My mouth pops open. What the-?

"Fuck" I hear the Majority Leader curse.

So much for party loyalty. Fuck I know I sprung it on them, but who needs opposition parties when your own party is doing the work for them?

I feel my eyes narrow and my jaw tense. Opposition within my own party isn't good. I glare at Jarish who is giving me his ugly smug smile. Fucking slim ball fucker. He couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut.

When Jarish sits down, no one else stands. I don't know if it's out of shock or because none of the fuckers can think of a better attack than the one Jarish just presented.

"Any other comments for the record?" The Majority Leader calls out, his voice a bit edgy. Jarish's disloyalty to the party also reflects poorly upon him.

There is no sound in the room. I think I can hear my own fucking breathing. Fuck.

"Honorable gentlemen, we have two motions on the floor. One, to send the evidence of wrongdoing within the priesthood to committee for an investigation, and two, to dismiss the allegations on the basis of inappropriate setting. If anyone has any additional comments please stand."

Again the room is quiet. Normally the fuckers are clamoring to comment on every fucking thing for the record, but I've caught them off guard. They don't know if they can support my investigation without repercussions or if they can risk going against an investigation that might gain public support once the atrocities are reported. Better for them to remain silent.

My eyes slip to Whit, the fucker is smiling to himself as he notes down everything that is happening.

After a moment the Majority Leader begins again, "We will vote according to the order in which the motions were suggested. All those in favor of sending the evidence to committee for an investigation stand and say aye"

Around four of the Senators stand shouting aye before promptly sitting again

"All those against stand any say nay"

Jarish and one other Senator respond. The rest of the twenty or so Senators remain seated, effectively not wanting to be on the record at all. I bet those bastards wished they hadn't bothered to show up to the chamber today.

The Majority Leader nods his head, "Alright, for the second motion. All those in favor of dismissing the allegations stand and say aye"

I take a deep breath and look around the room, knowing whoever stands is my new enemy in this fight.

****

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for reading my story! If you want to read ahead or support me, please check out my Patreon page where Scheming Against Devotion is complete and you can read ahead on all my ongoing books, get news on the series, and participate in polls starting at 3 Euros a month (+VAT, various currencies available). Check it out at https://www.patreon.com/heatherjacobs

Happy reading!

Heather