Rumors (chapter 13)

Giddean:

I finally spot him, floating down those cursed temple stairs, his priestly robes gathered around him. He stops to chat with some priestess before continuing his descent. Taking his sweet time, unburdened by the rush us laymen feel.

I have been waiting for him all day.

Yet I am stuck here watching the Master Priest from a window in city hall, cornered by the ever-enthusiastic and increasingly intense Senator Jarish. A man I avoid, fellow party member or no, I know a nut when I meet one.

"...if we remove the Smithers from the district there will be less crime and less..."

What is the politest way to blow off a colleague?

"Sorry Jarish, I spot a donor I have been trying to get hold of..."

Jarish winces but nods, he's probably used to the brush off. I feel a touch of guilt that I push away when I remember my purpose.

"We'll... pick this up later" I shout behind me as I rush out of the room. I run down the hall and down the stairs nearly tripping and out of the front of the building.

I gaze at the damn temple, but the bastard seems to have wandered somewhere in the time I was running through city hall. I slowly walk towards the temple, scanning the crowd. How far could he have gone?

It's not market day, so the market square isn't packed, but there are still Pinns mulling around, some priestesses chatting amongst themselves, the cafes on the opposite side of the squares are filled with Pinns and chosen to enjoy a drink in the warm sun.

As I get closer, I spot the priest just behind the staircase to the temple. He stands there in the shadows just watching out on the square. I follow his gaze. He is watching a group of priestesses talking on the square. Is there something special about them? I, too, watch them briefly as I continue my walk. Five or six of them stand together talking, laughing. Their pale blue dresses floating about them. One is heavily pregnant and rubbing her stomach as she chats. They are pretty enough, but if there is anything special about them, I can't see it from my casual observation.

"Master Priest" I call out as I approach him. His head whips around from the priestesses to me, and he looks a little embarrassed before he narrows his eyes at me.

"Senator, what are you doing here?"

"I need to talk with you"

"We can't be seen together, Senator."

I know this. I know once I make public my accusations there will be a hunt for whoever gave me the information and things will go badly for him if he was spotted with me. But I'm desperate.

After yesterday I feel like I need to confront the institution which robbed me of one partner and is hurting my relationship with the next. I need to get some sort of justice for Julia; I shouldn't have waited so long. I need it to move on with Ivy. And I need to do it now. It can't wait for the squeamishness of one of the priest that has done nothing to stop the ongoing abuse until it benefited him.

I grab his robes and push him further back into the shadows, "Better, priest?" I spit out.

He looks at me with solemn eyes for a moment, I don't know what he sees there, probably my desperation, but after a pause, he nods briefly.

I let go of his black robes, "Good."

"What is it, Senator?"

"I need everything. I need proof, witnesses everything"

"You'll get-"

"I need it now" I interrupt.

"I told you, it takes time to-"

"I'm putting in a motion tomorrow to speak on a bill on the floor when it comes up. It should be this week"

The Master Priest purses his lips, "That's not what we agreed"

"I don't give a fuck!"

"Senator, during my investigation I have... I am hearing things. There are rumors that they put something in the drinks to make the women more docile and more .... interested in sex"

Now it is my turn to look at the priest. His black eyes conveying tiredness and weariness. He thinks I am being too hasty and is trying to delay me. Sure, drugging the priestesses is another example of the depravity of the High Priest, but the physical abuse is enough. I don't need perfect information and I don't need everything, I just need enough to convince my fellow senators to launch an investigation.

"Send me everything...tomorrow." I say thinking on my feet "Send it tomorrow and I will go with everything you've got"

"Is that wise?"

"You handle your shit, priest, and leave the politics to me"

He narrows his eyes but replies "You will have everything I've got by tomorrow evening"

"Good"

I walk away. I walk away before I say something stupid or punch the fucker. His kind disgusts me. How long did he know about the abuse before he did anything about it?

Despite the bad taste in my mouth, I'm glad I went straight to the priest instead of going through Apothen again. The old fucker wasn't getting it done; maybe his age has slowed his ability to accomplish it.

As I walk out into the square and into the sun I decide to take a right towards the cafes instead of heading back into city hall. I have done all I can today and I know I need to see Ivy.

Ivy, the sweet girl who was willing to give herself to me. Fuck, I can only hope she forgives me for yesterday.