22. Into my dad's arms

I wake up because of the loud voices. Groaning, I get up from my bed. I don't remember falling asleep.

Mid stairs on my way to the ground floor, I freeze. I can hear the voices clearly now. They are coming from the front door.

"Your daughter can't do this to Bianca, Jasmine," I hear Bianca's mom say to my mother. I bite my lips feeling like a kid who stole from her classmate and the classmate's parents are here to complain about me to my parents.

But I didn't steal Cole. Did I?

"It's not up to us to decide, Molly. The kids need to figure this out by themselves," my dad says.

So everyone knows now? Rick must be the culprit.

"Then ask her to come out," Bianca's dad says.

"She's resting now, Philip. She went through a lot today. I won't wake her up now."

"What about my daughter?" Philip shouts. "She has been crying since she learned the truth. She loves Cole. And it was decided he would mate her. And now your daughter comes back and ruins everything."

"How dare you blame this on my child?" my mom says, angrily. I've never heard her this upset. She sounds like she's about to rip out Philip's throat.

"How is this not Daisy's fault?" Philip says, impervious to my mom's rage. "She seduced Cole away from my daughter."

Okay. Now I am angry. I did not seduce Cole. I may have bothered him purposefully sometimes but I did not "seduce" him.

"And besides," Philip says, "How can we accept a human as our Luna? What will others think of us if your weak daughter became our Alpha's mate?"

I clutch my chest. There it is: my worst fears coming true right in front of me.

I hear a loud punch and someone falling down. I climb down a couple more steps to look at what's happening outside.

Philip is on the ground on his back, with a bleeding nose.

"Remember where you're standing and who you're talking to," my father says, threateningly looming over Philip. "This pack would only be so lucky to have my daughter as its Luna. If someone doesn't think so, they don't need to stay."

I grab the handrails, slide down and silently cry. I always thought dad might've regretted having a human daughter, but now I know that's not true. It never mattered to him whether I was a werewolf or not.

A few members of the pack help Philip get up and take him and his wife away before my dad completely loses his cool.

When he comes back in he says to my mother, "Now I understand why our baby hid it from us. These people don't deserve her."

I rush down the stairs and into my dad's arms. He comforts me by cradling me against his chest like he used to when I was a little girl.