2. Nothing to worry about

As soon as I step into the kitchen my vision is blocked by a broad chest and my ribs get crushed by a pair of big arms that are attached to my father.

"Welcome home, kid!" he shouts, nearly killing my hearing ability. I wiggle my way out, laughing. It's good to see my dad still as annoyingly lively as ever in the mornings.

Throughout my stay away from home I kept in touch with my parents and called them often. It gave them a little peace of mind to know what was happening in my life.

Persuading them to let me attend a college outside our packland was no easy job.

Without anything new to say to each other, dad and I quietly sip our coffee at the dining table while mom tends to our breakfast on the stove.

This is how my mornings were when I lived here and this is how I like it. There are people you feel uncomfortable in sharing a silence with, and there are people with whom even silence sounds as lovely as a Taylor Swift song. I feel like that with my parents.

"Where's Rick?" I ask dad.

"He had to leave early to take care of an urgent business. Last night he went to your room. Your were fast asleep so he didn't wake you up."

"Is everything alright?" I ask. Last night was an urgent meeting. This morning, it's an urgent business. Something urgent is happening in the pack.

"Nothing for you to worry about, honey."

Dad would've answered yes if everything is indeed alright. But also, if he says it's nothing for me to worry about, it's nothing for me to worry about. Pack business is not my business. I'm technically not even in the pack. A human can't be in a werewolf pack.

I mentally slap the back of my head for thinking the last few thoughts. I know where they can lead me. Been there many times before. It's not a good place.

The smell of mom's tasty pancakes come to rescue. My mind is soon occupied with food.