18. My mom knows someone

Peter yawns.

"Didn't sleep well last night?" I ask him.

"Nina was watching the TV till late. The noise kept me awake."

I sigh.

Since Nina has been living with us, Peter hasn't been able to rest well at home. It's nobody's fault, though.

Peter is a working student. He goes to work after college and comes home late, and has early classes the next day.

As for Nina, she had transferred to the online classes that our pack college offers so she could continue her studies while staying here with me.

Her condition has improved a lot. She's keeping up with her grades, goes to AA regularly and has started to eat healthy, too.

That's why I don't want her to go back yet. I also don't want to bother Peter. So I told him Nina and I would move out. But he wants to stay roommates with me.

The only solution left then is for the three of us to move to a bigger house.

Luckily, my parents and Nina's parents are well off enough to give us the extra money we need to pay for the rent on a bigger house. And Peter had recently been promoted so his income is more than enough to cover his share of the rent, too.

I started looking for a place online but was able to find one through the most unexpected way — my mom. My mom knows someone — a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend — who has a house here they are looking to rent out to a family.

Somehow my mother persuaded the landlord to rent the house out to me and my friends, who are all college students, instead of a family.

Today, I'll go check out the house.