Chapter 2 The Driverless Carriage

After waiting impatiently for a few minutes, Mrs. Billing saw Mrs. Waterford's figure coming into view from the back door. In this time Esther had managed to get her coat on, put her handbag on her wrist, and adjust her hat in the mirror. Her white gloves were still clutched in her right hand. The plump cook came racing from the back door still wearing her dirty, white apron and holding the wooden spoon. Before she could say a word, Mrs. Billings spoke up.

          "Is the carriage ready?"

          "Yes mam, Mr. Waterford just brought it to the front." was the old cook's reply.

          "Finally," said Mrs. Billing quickly, not letting the old women have any time to say another word. With not another second delay Mrs. Billing reached for the door and started outside.

          The three girls quickly shadowed their mother's long steps out the front door.

          "Mam," said the cook following Mrs. Billing and the girls outside.

          "Not now," replies Mrs. Billing to the women as she held her dress and walked down the many steps. "We are late and whatever you say to me can wait."

          "But mam...," started the Mrs. Waterford. She was again interrupted. For right as she began to speak Mrs. Billing had looked up at the carriage.

          "Where is Stevens?" said Mrs. Billing, startled at the image before her. When she looked up, she saw the same rich carriage that she had ridden in numerous times but the carriage itself was driverless.

          "Mam...," started the cook again.

          "Where is he? Doesn't he know we are late and are in a hurry?" The old cook finally got tired of being interrupted and ignored. She raised her voice to her mistress which was something she had only done but twice in the 23 years she had work as cook for the Billings.

          "Mam," her voice was much stronger and louder now that she had her confidence. "If you would stop interrupting me then maybe you would hear what I have been trying to tell you the last 10 minutes." Mrs. Billing, seeing that the old woman was upset and serious, took a deep breath before letting her arms fall to her side.

          "All right tell me," said Mrs. Billing in a tone that showed that she was still in charge yet submitting.

          "Stevens quit earlier this morning," was the truth that came out the cook's mouth rather as a shock.

          "What?" Her mistress was obviously upset. "What... what... why... when? Why... why didn't you tell me?"

          "I tried to tell you mam, but you said if I spoke another word, you'd fire me."

          "But... but why didn't you tell me this morning when he left?"

           "I thought you knew mum," was Mrs. Waterford's simple reply. "Mr. Waterford told me this morning after breakfast. He said he left early."

          "Uhhhh," that was all that Mrs. Billing could say in reply. Mrs. Billing did not say it in anger but in the sadness of desperation. The old mustached driver had been the longest driver to ever stay with the family. He had stayed a total of close to 3 months. Esther, who with her sisters had watched the whole conversation, quickly came up with a solution.

          "I can drive the carriage mamma!" were the words that slipped from her tongue before she was even able to consider the idea.

          "What?" said Mrs. Billing who had been wallowing in the silence of sadness.