Chapter 7 Some Old Hag

The rest of the dinner conversation was of the same subjects. But quite boresome so I will not go into detail of it.

"I do think I will check on Evaline," said Mrs. Billing as she tapped her mouth with her napkin and stood out of her chair. "I have not seen her since early this afternoon."

"I do believe I have some paperwork that Johnson said needed reviewing before morning," said Mr. Billing, also standing up.

"That reminds me," said Priscilla standing up. "I have not gotten extremely far in my embroidery and must get to it before the ladies' meeting. It is at the Johnson's house this week."

"Yes, I think I will go and practice the Piano some more for tonight," said Kitty. "I might play after dinner when John and Abigail come." The entire family was now standing out of their chairs and about to leave the dinner table when Mrs. Waterford burst through the door.

"Hold on a second," said the white- and brown-haired woman as she held up a wooden spoon. Everyone was still in the process of scooting their chairs under the table when the words came flying out of her mouth. "You children don't leave yet. I need to talk to your father first." Just as the words floated in the air and into their white ears another sound was here. It was the sound of the phone ringing. "Don't go anywhere," she said floating out of the room and waving her spoon. Mrs. Waterford was a servant, but she sometimes acted as if the roles were reversed.

Mr. Billing just looked around and then sat down as if this was a normal evening practice. The rest of the family took their father's example and sat down once more. A click was heard from outside the dining room door and the annoyance of the phone stopped.

"Hello," was the word that the cook's scruffy voice made. "E' yes," she said after a pause. It was obvious that there was a voice on the other end of the line. "No, this isn't the housekeeper! Who is this?" she said angrily after listening. "It's the cook you old hag. Listen here Miss housekeeper, you. Right now, I'm the cook, housekeeper, maid, midwife (when it was needed), and about 20 other things. You wouldn't last a day in this house let alone a week." The whole Billing family was greatly amused by this rather lively conversation and smiled at one another. "I've lasted 23 years. I've been at every Child's birth and that's 7 in total." She paused again. "Of course, the mother's alive. She a strong woman." This made Mrs. Billing blush. "She looks better after having 7 then old Mrs. Pearson looks after having 2. How have I stayed here for 23 years? Well, let's just say they don't make 'em 'ow they used to. Of course, no hard feelings." she said these words with pauses in between. "Seven o'clock you say? Of course. Same to you." And with that, she hung up. The cook never really had a formal way of saying "hello" or "goodbye."

With that, the old woman bobbed to the dining-room door.

"Who was that?" asked Mr. Billing rather casually after the women entered. He volunteered the question only for his and his family's pleasure. They were a keen family and had already put the puzzle together. He held his elbow on his chair arm and slowly rubbed his chin with his fingers.

"Some old hag that claimed to be the Pearson's housekeeper. I dare say the woman was course and rude!"

"So, the Pearson's are coming for dinner?" asked Mrs. Billing slowly.

"Yes mam," said the cook with a nod. "Seven o'clock."

"Then I shall look forward to a miserable evening," said Mr. Billing blandly as he stood up about to leave the room.

"I'm looking forward to seeing the driver that's young and old all in one body," said David with a snicker, following his father's example by standing up from the dining table.

" Hold on a second," said Mrs. Waterford waving her spoon at Mr. Billing. "I was wanting to speak to you."

"Of course," said Mr. Billing in his thick English accent as he sat back down in one smooth motion.