Chapter 6 Dinner Time

During their parents' discussion, the girls had made their way up the stairs and had not paid any attention to the conversation. Esther and Kitty both threw their coats, hats, and gloves on the bed. Neither one was exceptionally tidy. Es quietly walked over to her desk and spied the picture she had been drawing earlier that day. She was not interested in finishing it, so she shoved it in her desk's top drawer and walked away. Casually she sat on a small, uncluttered part of her bed to read while Kitty changed for dinner.

.....

"Where's Es?" asked Mr. Billing as he sat down for the evening meal. When he glanced around the table, he noticed she was not seated. Everyone shrugged their shoulders. "There are so many of you. How come you never know where another one of you is?" He said this because he was indeed the father to 7 children. 5 of which still lived in the home.

"I haven't been in my room for a while," answered Kitty. "I've been on the piano." Es though was on her way down the stairs when these words were spoken. Her book reading had delayed her getting dressed for dinner. She first walked down part of the stairs like a lady but after a few steps noticed that no one was around. After glancing around she pulled herself onto the banister and with the greatest of ease, she slid down the banister. Just like a lady. Reader, you might think it impossible to ride down a banister like a lady, but I tell you Esther had mastered it. She then jumped down and walked across the hard floor to the dining room. Her heels went a noisy click clap all the way.

"I'm glad to see that you decided to join your family for dinner," said Mr. Billing sarcastically when his daughter emerged through the dining-room door. He was a very sarcastic person.

"Hello papa," she said as she walked over to his chair and kissed him on the check.

"Hello dear." She then took her seat at the table which was to her father's left. To her left sat her brother David. She liked to call him Dave.

"I'm famished!" cried Dave as he started to cut his piece of chicken. He stabbed his fork in his chicken and was about to bring it to his mouth.

"Ahem," said Mr. Billing, clearing his throat and grabbing his son's attention. Dave instantly looked up at his father.

"Son, how long have you lived in this house?" Dave looked up at sealing and squinted his eyes while he thought. He still held his knife in his right and fork in his left.

"14 years, sir," he answered after a pause.

"Then I think it is safe to say that you know that the Billings' always pray before they eat?"

"Yes sir." Then with a nod from his father, he set his fork and knife down on his plate. He then closed his eyes and folded his hands. Mr. Billing found the situation humorous and indicated so as he smiled at his wife before also acting in reverence.

"Thank you, Lord, for this food," started Mr. Billing in prayer. "Thank you that we have the money to buy what we need and that we have never gone hungry. Help us to use what we have, to bless others. And thank you Lord for blessing us even when we forget to say thank you. In Jesus' name Amen."

"Amen," chimed in the rest of the family as they lifted their heads. There were only 4 children at the table because Eveline (the youngest) had a cold since the day before and had to stay in bed. This was a great disappointment to her for she had been looking forward to the Crawford's tea. She was especially excited to see one of her best friends, Hannah Jennings, who you know was also very disappointed that Eveline was not able to go.

"Would you pass the rolls," said Mr. Billing before searching the table for the unseen item.

"I do not believe there is any, dear," said Mrs. Billing in reply after also searching the table with her eyes. She gently laid her napkin on her lap.